Magging a113HLW

Started by Makule, March 29, 2012, 12:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Has anyone attempted to mag a 113HLW?  I'm thinking about doing it and want to get some starting point for what size magnet and how many to use.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

G'day Albert,
Have a look at what Roger did with his Newell Jigmaster - it might help.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=883.msg6186#msg6186

Always wanted to do this myself, but haven't got to it yet...
Be interested to hear how you get on.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Let us know how you make out Albert.

That reminds me, did anyone hear from Roger?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 29, 2012, 01:04:48 AM

Let us know how you make out Albert.

That reminds me, did anyone hear from Roger?

Sal: I'm glad you asked.  I have been wondering about Roger and Steve-O.  We haven't heard from them in a while.  Hey guys check in even if you do not have anything to add to the reel posts.  Write something in the Ohana section.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteWrite something in the Ohana section...
Good call Dominick/Sal.
I sent Roger a PM a while back to say 'hope all's well', but didn't hear back.
Probably out fishing - where we should be too...  ;) ;D

Makule

It seems the Jigmaster was magged with three 1/4" magnets.  As the 113HLW has a heavier spool, my guess is that it would require more, or larger, magnets.

Aside from fit, is there any reason for not using one (or two) stronger magnets rather than 3?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

I would recommed starting with 1 and add as you need them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

So, here's my attempt at magging a 113HLW.  Haven't tried any fine tuning, but works well.  Images are sequential.  Left out a few redundant things that are kinda common sense.  I used an old reel since this was experimental.  Magnets came from Lee Valley (Canada).

1)  Remove side plate, remove bearing, clean very well so adhesive can stick.  Used acetone to clean.

2)  Since it wasn't clear what size and number of magnets to use, I opted to use double sided tape to temporarily install the magnets.

3)  Since the tape is too large, it is trimmed to fit with sharp utility knife.

4)  This is what the tape looks like with the backing removed to show the adhesive.

5)  Lee Valley says the magnets exert more force when mounted in "cups" so that's what I did, assuming that the spool would take quite a bit to control the spin.  Here it is showing the three cups, two of which have the magnets inserted.  You will notice that there are red spots on the magnets.  This signifies the polarity of the magnets, and they were inserted the same way.

6)  This is what the semi-finished stage looks like.  Three 1/2" magnets in cups, installed the same polarity.

After testing, the final step was to then glue on the cups for a more permanent job.  Used super glue so that there would be a chance to remove them if necessary.  Before inserting the magnets, the cups and magnets were coated with grease.

When cast, the reel produces backlash that needs to be controlled, but it occurs somewhere during mid-cast and not at the beginning.  Later on, I'll remove one of the magnets to see how this changes things, but for now, it seems pretty good.

redsetta

Great stuff Albert - definitely something I'd like to try.
Cheers for the post, Justin

day0ne

With the magnets set they way they are, you will have decreased braking. Generally, three magnets will be set NSN. N is the red mark. Try turning the middle one over and see what it does.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Makule

Quote from: day0ne on April 10, 2012, 05:02:09 AM
With the magnets set they way they are, you will have decreased braking. Generally, three magnets will be set NSN. N is the red mark. Try turning the middle one over and see what it does.

Yes, I only tried them all with the same orientation and found that the force was seemingly strong enough.  I didn't want to over do it.  Will continue to experiment with the magnets to see how things change.