tld 15

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anticz

Thanks for that. I did also notice something up with the side casing. Appears the shaft may have pushed through and someone has glued it back together.
I had suspected a decent drop may have been the cause of this but it makes complete sense to me now
Looks like I just learnt something.. pre set drags to spec and nit beyond.

Cheers
Antz

Bryan Young

Not sure why this happened because this reel uses a pull bar system where the spool is pulled to the right to engage the drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 21, 2015, 03:45:36 PM
Not sure why this happened because this reel uses a pull bar system where the spool is pulled to the right to engage the drag.

Duh...probably due to a drop then.  Or too little space on the shaft and a drop. 

I was thinkimg of the other reels where I had noticed this issue.  They typically had flattened Bellevilkes, and noticable damage or signs of contact with the left side plate.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

day0ne

On the TLD's, the shaft hole goes all the way through the endplate. There is just a label covering it. I don't necessarily think it was dropped or anything. It's common to see the label like that. It's just a piece of paper.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rmpsocal

Hey gang, what's the best method for removing the metal shield on ball bearings?  Thanks!

MarkT

A fishhook or knife is what I use.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rmpsocal on October 25, 2015, 10:36:48 PM
Hey gang, what's the best method for removing the metal shield on ball bearings?  Thanks!
If you're not going to place them back, this is working out great for me:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1971.msg10129#msg10129
If you have to place them back in, you will need a small hook or a exacto knife, it is still hard to do, but can be done if you have patience.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rmpsocal

Rmpsocal

Just wanted to share a pic of the 20# Yellowtail I caught yesterday on a TLD reel you all helped me rebuild.  The reel was "hot-rodded" with a Kolekar handle, smoooooth drag carbon washers, and Bellevilles from Alan!

Thanks for the tips!

steelfish

the last small bearing on the left is really stuck on the shaft, I couldnt moved it a bit, used a flat screwdriver between both bearings (it was almost all the way pressed against the other bearing) and made twists movement with the screwdriver but no luck, left it on a bath of oil for few hours and still no luck, I also tried some short but strong hits with the tip of the screwdriver on were the bearing meets the shafts and still nothing.

any other trick to separate the bearing from the shaft?

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Maybe drill a hole in a piece of wood clamped to a bench, then heat everything up, and tap the shaft out.  Or you could just order a new shaft along with the bearing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 18, 2016, 06:48:51 PM
Or you could just order a new shaft along with the bearing.

I am really considering this option.
The Baja Guy

handi2

You will have to heat it and knock it off. Heat does amazing things.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jamie D

Hi Guys

Regarding the packing of the bearings with grease during service , has anybody found they can generate better free spool times by simply cleaning the bearings with an aerosol cleaner , then using fine oil rather than grease ? Just a thought , not sure of the question has been covered . Have achieved good results upgrading the drag washers , releases line smoothly for sure , will have to try upgrading the pre load belleville washers , looks good !!

RowdyW

Oiling bearings instead of greasing to increase free spool is an old topic. It's been done for years. Try TSI 321 oil for your bearings. Nothing else has been found so far for the best free spool.