penn 114h half frame

Started by jdc946, April 30, 2012, 06:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdc946

I have a half frame that has a stripped screw hole. Can i fix this buy puttin another insert in the hole, and if so where can i buy the brass inserts.

Keta

I doubt if you can but I've never tried it.  Put a piece of a 114H anti reverse dog spring in the screw hole and see if shiming it works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuotePut a piece of a 114H anti reverse dog spring in the screw hole and see if shiming it works.
x2 - that's what I'd do...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

akfish

I hate to be discouraging, but I think that frame is toast. Penn actually recalled the first 114H graphite frames because they kept stripping screw holes. The newer frames with brass inserts are a little better, but not much. If you can find a foot and 4 more cross posts, I think you'll be better off in the long run.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

I'm with Akfish. Penn had problems with screws backing out of the frame, especially on boats so they came out with a clever idea of using self-tapping screws. It turned out to be a nightmere, fortunately they only lasted a couple of years. That reminds me, I have a few half frames with snapped screws in almost all of the screw holes, I wonder if Penn will still take them back :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Cheers Sal/AK - it's great having this kind of insight and knowledge to call on.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

spottybastard

May I suggest upgrading to a Tiburon frame... ;D

Its stronger than the graphite but not that much heavier.  And on the current ones you don't need the inside brass rings.

Alto Mare

Good suggestion, spottybastard. I believe that Alan still has a few of those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jdc946

Wow - dog spring - never would have thought of that. I was thinking of drilling the brass insert out and putting a new one in, but the dog spring sounds better.  As a last resort i will go with the tiburon, its an old reel it may be cheaper to just buy a new one or upgrade to a better reel. thank you all very much - great site