I'm in desperate need of help before i lose my mind with a Penn 160 dog & spring

Started by Eatmycatch, April 23, 2012, 01:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

This clip from Scott's (where Alan deals lots) Hope it helps.... along with the picture Keta's posted.

Fast forward to about 4:43 for dog and spring install.

Myself, I learned about the 0-ring trick for the bridge stack instead of a toothpick, and getting the eccentric lever functioning much quicker. It never occurred to me to first put the lever upside down, and poise the spring partway before flipping the lever.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Eatmycatch

It comes with great pleasure for me to announce that there will be no admittance into the looney bin for me tonight! :)

After watching the video and then reading and re reading Alans post on listening for that "click" to know you have the dog in place....it finally sunk into my frustrated head   ;D

So now I have a new locking lever the one on there was't the correct one it was straight , the right one has a little bend to it, a new dog, new dog spring, stainless steel spacer bars I got from ebay for the same price as the chrome over brass ones, a filed down reel stand painted over with chrome testers paint to fit the very small fuji reel seats. I now have my latest project working and spinning like a top!

Just like the positive and negative side to a battery there is a sense of accomplishment when you get it all done in working condition, although I may have lost a few hairs in my head & got frustrated at times....it was worth it, because I love Penn reels!

Thank you to all of you for your help and understanding!

BTW ~ Yes the O ring trick looks like it will too save a lot of grey hairs, the stack same apart on me quite a few times even with some cal's grease on the drag washers...great link!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Congratulations.  You are on your way to the next challenge, and it gets easier...and sometimes harder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Eatmycatch

Thank You,

I'm just fortunate to have you guys here to help me through it!

And yes, I do happen to have a few more projects to get started on :)

This is addictive! In a good way though! :)

alantani

i believe it really is true.  if you can fix a penn star drag reel, you fix anything. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!