my 505

Started by broschro, May 02, 2012, 12:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

This is my 505 Hs that panama Anthony sent to me. I put in a ss sleeve power handle, and accurate frame. Do you guys think this reel could handle some 40 to 60 # AJs  ??? ::)

wallacewt

cause you could bro,thats why you took up the challenge.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

That is a nice reel. But 40# - 60# AJs? Only maybe. The problem with the 505 has always been the gears shredding. To get the high speed retrieve, the teeth on the main gear are tiny and prone to problems. The Accurate frame will help keep them in line but I would still worry.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broschro

Quote from: akfish on May 02, 2012, 04:09:03 PM
That is a nice reel. But 40# - 60# AJs? Only maybe. The problem with the 505 has always been the gears shredding. To get the high speed retrieve, the teeth on the main gear are tiny and prone to problems. The Accurate frame will help keep them in line but I would still worry.
When the fish is pulling drag, do the gears turn? Is that too much weight? Why do the gears shred? Will ss gears make a difference?  Thanks guys.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i don't have the 505, but just like any reel the gears don't turn when drag is engaged. i agree with akfish (gears having smaller teeth are prone to problems). i guess if you fish it within specs you won't have problems, tight lines.

akfish

If you crank the reel under heavy drag -- and we all do it occasionally -- there is a chance of damage. But even if you don't, when you button down the drag and the 60# AJ pulls out line, you are putting pressure on the gears, although not as much as when you try to turn the handle. If you fish 30# line and keep the drag under 10# or so, you should be OK.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broschro

Quote from: akfish on May 02, 2012, 08:41:38 PM
If you crank the reel under heavy drag -- and we all do it occasionally -- there is a chance of damage. But even if you don't, when you button down the drag and the 60# AJ pulls out line, you are putting pressure on the gears, although not as much as when you try to turn the handle. If you fish 30# line and keep the drag under 10# or so, you should be OK.
Sounds good I will fill the spool with as much 20# braid and like you said set the drag to 10 #or so. Is there any drag upgrades I could do for more stopping power?

akfish

Greased carbon fiber drag washers will give you the most drag. But it's not drag power to be worried about: It's the gear sleeve -- you can get a steel one from Alan for about $20 -- and the gears you need to worry about. I'd be concerned about 10# of drag with 20# braided line too. If you really want to run 10# of drag -- that's really the max on that reel, really -- then use 50# braid and a leader of your choice. But is that enough to stop a 60# AJ from getting into the rocks? It certainly wouldn't stop a 60# yellowtail...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: broschro on May 02, 2012, 11:00:32 PM
. Is there any drag upgrades I could do for more stopping power?
[/quote]

A 113H. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Quote from: akfish on May 02, 2012, 11:59:33 PM
Greased carbon fiber drag washers will give you the most drag. But it's not drag power to be worried about: It's the gear sleeve -- you can get a steel one from Alan for about $20 -- and the gears you need to worry about. I'd be concerned about 10# of drag with 20# braided line too. If you really want to run 10# of drag -- that's really the max on that reel, really -- then use 50# braid and a leader of your choice. But is that enough to stop a 60# AJ from getting into the rocks? It certainly wouldn't stop a 60# yellowtail...
akfish Thanks I will use this for my lighter set up, do not want to damage.I do have the ss sleeve and carbonex drags what do you think my max drag should be?

broschro

Quote from: Keta on May 03, 2012, 12:25:51 AM
Quote from: broschro on May 02, 2012, 11:00:32 PM
. Is there any drag upgrades I could do for more stopping power?

A 113H.  
[/quote]You are 100%right Lee i will use the narrow one with the 4to1gears in her with the awesome ss dogs from no other thane u. Thanks ;D