drag setings and knots

Started by broschro, May 10, 2012, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Solid spectra to mono/fluoro knot for lines over 80 lbs= a bimini to reverse albright. I should state with lines in these tests I like to go with hollow spectra and other types of connections, but you can tie hollow just like solid if you wanted too.
Spectra to mono/fluoro knot for lines 60 lbs and under= a Bob Sands knot
The uni to uni tests out as a very week connection. Don't take my word for it google knot tests and you will see it ranks very low on the strength scale. The Bob Sands knot is very easy to tie and should work great for 50 lb test.
Mono/fluoro to hook= a San Deigo knot.

Every body had their favorites but a uni to uni should not be one IMO.

broschro

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 01:05:01 AM
Palmer knot is a good easy knot.  Make sure that the line does not cross over itself or it will loose at least 25% of it's knot strength.  My first try, 15# test broke at 10#s.  The prostaffer showed me my errors and retied and was able to get 17-21#.
What do you mean by crossing it self? 

Norcal Pescador

The wraps to make the knot are side-by-side, not coming over the top of the one next to it.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Here is what is should look like when it tightens on the hole of your hook, swivel, etc.

I tired and tired to tie a bad palmer knot, but I think my habbit to tie is, it never come out crossed anymore.  I cannot remember what I was doing to they that bad knot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i put a half twist in it and it does not cross as often.  bryan, can you show them a photo with the lines crossed?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Alan, I tried 10 times to show lines that crossed and now I cannot seem to get it to cross.  I'll try again tonight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Great, now Alan got in my head and has me wondering if I crossed the line on my Palomer knot. If your tying it right every time Bryan I wouldn't jinx myself by trying to tie one incorrectly. But I'm a little paranoid that way.
Tight Lines, Brendan.

alantani

i use to cross up mine about half the time until i started putting a twist in the line.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

fishermen will not agree on knots.
try here where they were tested on the igfa machine
www.sportfishingmag.com
its called "at the breaking point"
uni to uni doesnt rate at all,there are better knots.
doesnt mean you have to use them.

Bryan Young

After I learned the right way to tie the palomer knot, I went back to check all of my pre-rigs and 80% needed to be retied.  I even tryed twisting the line forcing it to cross, and it just didn't cooperate.  Will keep on trying until I get one.  Please be patient.

broschro

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 14, 2012, 06:05:53 AM
After I learned the right way to tie the palomer knot, I went back to check all of my pre-rigs and 80% needed to be retied.  I even tryed twisting the line forcing it to cross, and it just didn't cooperate.  Will keep on trying until I get one.  Please be patient.
Just tried one, now I see what you mean about crossing over it self 

SoCalAngler

Here is the results page in their test. As you can see a uni to uni breaks at 40% line test.
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/rigs-and-tips/braid-knots-20-pound-test

Bryan Young

Broschro, can you post a picture of the know where it crosses over itself?

Quote from: broschro on May 14, 2012, 12:22:54 PM

broschro

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 14, 2012, 05:13:50 PM
Broschro, can you post a picture of the know where it crosses over itself?

Quote from: broschro on May 14, 2012, 12:22:54 PM
Just tried, my cam will not focus. but it is crossing it self Where the line doubles

Bryan Young

Finally got my knot to cross.  Mine used to cross near the center, but this one is near the end of the knot, but I think you will get the idea.