Greetings to all

Started by Fisho, February 25, 2012, 08:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisho

Hi all, there is some fantastic information about reels here. I'm completely new to fishing, here in New Zealand, but I think I'm getting addicted to everything fishing. :) Alan, your detailed info is the best!

Bryan Young

Welcome Fisho.  There are a bunch of chaps from New Zealand here.  I'm sure they can give you a few pointers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

You're in good company here Fisho. Some of us have been turning handles for a long time and others, like me, have only been at the salt water side a few years now.

Good onya for signing up. We're a helpful lot!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

aloha fisho and welocome to alans place

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Fisho, some fellow Kiwi's on this great Forum. ;D

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Welcome.  Great name Fisho.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Welcome Fisho - you're in the right place.
I'm in Auckland if you ever need any assistance etc.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Fisho

Hi guys thanks for the awesome hospitality. Admittedly I only manage to get out on the water once every 2 weeks, but it's getting to the point where I'm planning the next fishing trip hehe. I don't have the best gear as I'm still learning, but when funds allow I guess I'm gonna have to upgrade. I'm in Auckland nz, and I went to barrier for the weekend, fantastic place. I caught my first kingfish on snapper gear! Totally happy with that not the biggest but what a fight. I think I may have busted my shimano tr200g, I think that's what it's called, love this reel. The kingie was my biggest fish about 10 - 12kg, I know it's probably small to you guys, but it's got me hooked on fishing. ;D.

Thanks again guys for the great info

Bryan Young

Fisho,

Justin (Redsetta) is one of the best in your area.  Hook up with him before your next reel purchase.  He will give you excellent advice..

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

welcome.  the girls and i are thinking of visiting new zealand and australia this summer.  not sure about side trips, but fiji and tasmania are also on the table.  take a look around and let us know if you have any questions!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fisho

Long time no post sorry guys. So I went and got myself 2 more tr200gs as they were adequate for what I was doing. A friend of mine just got me a penn 850ssm the metal version. Now I've rarely used spinning reels before but I'm really enjoying rock fishing at the moment. Casting is not a problem I'm just curious as to how I use this thing. Sounds funny I know, I asked the local tackle shop which kinda helped me. I stray line when I fish and was trying to see if I could simulate the baitrunner effect (let the fish take the bait and run then engage). Would you guys leave the bail arm open and finger hold the line and when the fish takes the bait, flick the arm over and strike or have the bail arm closed with very little drag, and when the fish takes the bait quickly tighten the drag and strike. Sorry spinning reels is a new art to master me thinks:) best to ask the pros. Thanks guys

wallacewt

a lot of guys may disagree with me but baitrunners dont work.set your drag on the 850ssm,leave it engaged,and just fish.there is enough slack in the line.dont fiddle with the drag.circle hooks are another story.just open the bail arm if you want to.gd luck 

Fisho

Thanks for the tip, thats what i had been doing. I do catch fish this way. I have however tried leaving the drag slightly on and once the fish runs with it I crank the knob roughly 2 times and strike. Your method sounds far easier, I will mostly stick to your way. Thanks for your advice :)