titus gold 15 II

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spes

To clarify in my freaking out!
Handle turns,,,, spool doesn't

alantani

the handle is connected to the gears.  you can't miss that one.  the pinion gear is connected to the metal drag pressure plate.  can't miss that one either.  it has to be that the drag pressure plate is not coming in contact with the drag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

call off the national guard! 
I put either the lever drag or adjust block in the wrong spot,,,, once I messed with that I got it right.

Now, tell me if this sounds correct for testing. I don't have a fish scale so I put the reel on my rod and tied it to a ten pound weight. I thumb the spool pick up the weight, and adjust drag so when I take my thumb off the weight it  falls at a slow steady speed. Sound about right?
After doing that on free spool I spun the spool with my hand.
2:04 seconds!
Lubed with Extreme Reel

alantani

sounds better.  you know, questions like this are just as important.  always post your problems, because other guys are bound to eventually do the same.  alan

spes

Well thanks Alan.
First time breaking it down that far.
Other things I noticed;
1)The stopper pin on the main shaft, should that be falling out loose?
2)I probably will attack the right side plate. Cranking seems a little loaded.
I hope to shoot a few pics of the dog springs as I break it down.
3) How much side to side play should there be when in free spool?
That side to side play kills free spool time. 2:04 horizontal, 1:25 with reel rotated 90* clicker side down, 17 sec with reel held handle side down.

alantani

yes, it is loose and should not be.  the loss of freespool when turned to the right means you have to shim the right spool bearing out a little.  alan

spes

Thanks Alan,
When you say  shim the right spool bearing out a little, do you mean add a washer?
What size?
Would that go between the small compression spring(key # 613) and the right bearing?

Thanks again,
Mike

alantani

it would have an outside diamater that is the same as the OD for the bearing and an ID that is very close to the OD.  it would be like a ring.  actually, the retaining rings for the bearings works well in this situation.  the idea is to extend the bearing cup out a little because the "bearing sleeve" is a little too long.  you could also shorten the bearing sleeve a little but i am not sure about this spring system.  here's a basic description.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.0

spes

Agh, it's getting dropped right in the bearing cup.
I lubed my bearings and left them open, so I do have the left over retaining rings.
Just drop one in the cup?
Very roughly estimate with caliper side to side play in free spool is around 0.55mm
They don't find a way to"fall" into the race?

alantani

you just have to try it and see how much play you have left.  a couple of thousanths is all you want.  that should be enough to eliminate this "turn to the right" problem.  alan

spes

Hi Alan,
I added two  retaining rings for the bearings.
Spool times were 55 horizontal, 53 left, and 45 right.
While greatly increasing tilted to the right times.. it did reduce horizontally by half.
I think drag is set the same amount as previously tested.
Would you go with these times? Or, go without the  retaining rings for the bearings added and keep the reel level when casting?

Oh went at the right side plate.
Here's pictures of the Dog Srings

spes

This the right way to add a pic?

alantani

you've got it!  when it is together, you will know for sure.  alan

wallacewt

that long spring on the spool shaft,does that act the same as the sleeves you make,is it as good?ive never seen one of those before.are they common or something new?pls explain gents

spes

Hello,
I'm stll having trouble with my TG15II
The high gear keeps slipping or not engaging.
It's feels like the drive gear pin doesn't seat when going from low gear to high gear.
There feels like plenty of sring in the handle's compression spring.
I've taken it apart 10 times,,, I'll have the right side all torn down... and work the high low button while looking at the drive gear pin seat correctly in the high gear,,, put it all back together and it won't work.

( pinion gears have no nicks or dings )

getting ready to toss this reel... every time i use it and get a fish on it seems to blow up

p.s. yeah Alan, I used the new Makaira15II on the Okuma speed jigging reel... I wasn't getting very much distance tossing a 16 oz  Solvkroken jig underhanded. I think people on the pulpit would have been upset with me if I tried an overhand throw.