Penn photos AUS

Started by Harry, May 16, 2012, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macka17

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
A few more pics of my working reels. Hanging to go for a fish.
hey.
we used to fish Normanville for big rays and shark yrs ago.
I used the penn red 6\0 and a Daiwa 900.Both with upgrade drags.
Rapid Bay jetty and the south headland. in season for the big Kingies
using live squid from under jetty
This was in 70's and 80's. Bronzies of 6 ft and more where quite common to.
Biggest eagly I ever got. almost spanned the jetty from side to side.
Used L.Rover winch to drag it up beach at 4 in morning.
Those bottles of Greens  Ginger Ale.used to go down real nice in the cold.
Lying there in swags waiting for the ratchet click..
Those Daiwa's had much stronger gears  than the penns.

Harry

Gday macka17, you still in my neck of the woods?

Yea some good areas down towards rapid bay still .

macka17

No Harry.  I come from Townsville.

Lived down there for a few yrs.  Then went back up to Queensland again. C.Q. Yeppoon.
Couldn't stand the cold.
Ex is still down there though.   Seaford..
You getting some of the Tuna runs down there again.
Same as we used to heve in the 70's. off the end of Jervis and the Pages.

You could just about walk on them in those days..
Macka

wallacewt

macka
you talkin green ginger wine,
a couple of gulps and a shudder
good to go ;)cheers

macka17

Quote from: wallacewt on July 24, 2012, 12:18:25 AM
macka
you talkin green ginger wine,
a couple of gulps and a shudder
good to go ;)cheers

yea.
Greens Ginger Wine.
BUT. 3 in morning under tarp. Freezin.
Waiting for, hopefully. Somebody elses ratchet to go off...

Warms the cockles of your heart....  Then some.

I fought a 9ft Bronzie one night with Daiwa 900 and Fenwick game stick.('74\75). Loaded with 80lb Courtland (white with green stripe) from UK.
still in sleeping bag. with snot frozen on my nostrils.
We must have been mad in those days.

Great memories
Macka

Harry

yea hi maka, for a couple years now the tuna have picked up around the cape and off victor areas  for the boat fishos. The aveage size seems around 15 kg. Seemd like they had vanished from those waters for couple of decades. Making a comback now tho.

Did u ever used to baloon out of cape jervis jetty ? never tried there myself but thinkin bout trying that area once the weather  heats up a bit.

cheers Harry

macka17

Quote from: Harry on July 24, 2012, 03:55:19 PM
yea hi maka, for a couple years now the tuna have picked up around the cape and off victor areas  for the boat fishos. The aveage size seems around 15 kg. Seemd like they had vanished from those waters for couple of decades. Making a comback now tho.

Did u ever used to baloon out of cape jervis jetty ? never tried there myself but thinkin bout trying that area once the weather  heats up a bit.

cheers Harry

Yep But..... They tend to collect sharks in warm weather.

If Rapid Bay still usable.
Squid from under jetty.
Round the southern headland there's a shelf up past the cave.
Up in there you can see the big Kingies cruisin' past.
Lob a Squid. and hang on.
Those things were submarines.
Another great spot was at Granite Island. down over seaward face of the bluff.
Bit of Climbing involved. but worth it...
We used to get some great runs from there. Kings. and Tuna..
We had a coupla Eye bolts I set in the rocks. but they probably long gone by now.

Have fun
Macka

alantani

Wish i could join you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Harry

Rapid bay jetty is half there now , its closed for fishing, they removed a section so u cant get up there and built a small jetty on the northern side of it , mainly for divers .
Havent been to that kingy spot  near the head, might have a look ...probably be boats there on a nice day  lol

Funny u should mention about the rocks facing the bluff off Granite  island , thats the only spot iv ever rocked fish there(just for sprats) usually just fish of the screwpile.

There  was a picture few months ago  aparently 500 meters from the bluff with a nice sbt caught from a boat tho.

thanks 4 the tips  maka

Alan if you come here to join us  bring a couple stainless gear sleaves  for 114h penn for me. ;D

cheers Harry

eric

Hi Harry,

Love the pic of your collection of Penns. Used to do the shark fishing off Adelaide jetties back in the 70's. It was all Tatlers and Penn 6/0's, 9/0's, 12/0's and up to 16/0's.
Rapid Bay jetty was pretty good back then...remember watching a 12/0 drag start smoking when something (probably a GW) decided to take the 80lb balloon line to Kangaroo island.

The Screwpile and Bluff jetties at Victor were good as well. The Bluff could really produce when it was on.

Don't know if anyone fishes there any more, by the rocks to the left of Second Valley jetty (by the old boat sheds) was great for MEGA Eagle Rays and big gummy sharks.

I have re-discovered my youth and am collecting Tatlers and now Penn Specials....funny, once you start you cant seem to stop!
Then again, there is nothing like the scream of a Tatler reel to get the adrenalin pumping.

Good luck with your fishing.

macka17

Harry.

The Tuna used to run past there in early 70/s.
as well as some mainly, Hammers and pointers Chasing them.

That 12\0 at Rapid Bay smokin'.
Coulda been one of the submarine Kingy's too. They used to get under there after the squid...
Same as up the channel at Port Agudda. Past the road bridge.
The big kings used to go up there for breeding in 60's\80's too.
I swear some of them buggars were 7 ft long. You couldn't slow them down.
When hooked they'd swing my yacht round on it's mooring buoy. All 15 ton of it...

And I won't say anything about the nice Butters (Mulloway)we used to get.
A set line from my rear mooring buoy to next mooring buoy. Half a brick in middle to hold it down and a coupla 6\0 hooks with Salmon cut up for bait. When we kept our yachts in the Hot Water Channel behind Garden Island.

The breeders still go down there if you have a mate with boat on mooring.  Shhhh.
Jeez we had some good spots.  Specially for Snapper Of the Barges. and outer bar grounds.
Maslins etc.

See Ya