what is the best coventional surfcasting reel at this point in time

Started by snagger, May 28, 2012, 06:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Good stuff! I'm going to have to give that a shot when I get a chance, I love my 501's. Thanks for the link Snagger. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Fantastig snagger, thanks, how do you rate the magnets vs centrifugal brakes?

snagger

100 percent better .............the eddy current ..is lighter that the centrifical brakes.......in my opinion...... you can adjust the strength by turning one mag over so the poles are  in the same position or take one out.basically you have an avet reel for the price of a squidder.you can do this with jigmasters too

snagger

in fact i think i made up my mind ........i think my main concern when i started this thread was for a bulletproof surf reel that can hold 30lbs/300 yrds and where as there aren't any stainlesss gear and pinions for the squidder. im going to build a jigmaster . i like the fact that it still has the quick change feature and the anti-reverse dog and spring are more beefier and attached to the bridge.there are accurate stainless gears floating around. like sal says ''stick with the old stuff ''. sooooo .......ANYBODY SELLIN ACCURATE STAINLESS GEARS FOR THE PENN JIGMASTER?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snagger

come on alan your the man..........i know you got some in a vault with your gold coins

snagger

how about old steel ones..... i got a way to coat them so they don't rust

Bryan Young

Um, sorry.  Alan gave me the set for my PG251 since the gears were rough and we were experimenting with a 5+1 Carbontex drag configuration, which I had posted somewhere.

Quote from: snagger on May 30, 2012, 03:44:08 PM
in fact i think i made up my mind ........i think my main concern when i started this thread was for a bulletproof surf reel that can hold 30lbs/300 yrds and where as there aren't any stainlesss gear and pinions for the squidder. im going to build a jigmaster . i like the fact that it still has the quick change feature and the anti-reverse dog and spring are more beefier and attached to the bridge.there are accurate stainless gears floating around. like sal says ''stick with the old stuff ''. sooooo .......ANYBODY SELLIN ACCURATE STAINLESS GEARS FOR THE PENN JIGMASTER?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: snagger on May 30, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
how about old steel ones..... i got a way to coat them so they don't rust
Steel gears will do just fine, I have them in a lot of my reels. As you already know, it only takes about 5 minutes to breakdown a Jigmaster or Squidder, for routine maintenance. No need to do anything special with those steel gears, just coat them nicely with grease and you're set to go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Quote from: snagger on May 30, 2012, 03:32:28 PM
100 percent better .............the eddy current ..is lighter that the centrifical brakes.......in my opinion...... you can adjust the strength by turning one mag over so the poles are  in the same position or take one out.basically you have an avet reel for the price of a squidder.you can do this with jigmasters too

Thanks I am going to track down a couple it seems pretty straightforward to do  :)

snagger

compared to the stuff sal and you guys do to reels this is childs play. just buy them from lee valley epoxy them in the right location ..........your done .......now go out and cast with a squidder like you have never casted before.........at first its hard to let go but you'll get it in a matter of minutes it will look like a 30 yr pro with a thumb that has a masters degree.

CapeFish

it does seem pretty easy, I want to try it as an experiment on a Torium 20. No squidders available where I live, think they were last available in the shops when series III land rovers still roamed the country side :-)   

snagger

then your going to have to experiment with the distance from the magnets to the spool.........the cups and 1/4 '' magnets are perfect with the squidder .....the jigmaster no you have to use washers...... use modling clay to see the distance you have from the spool to the side of the reel.....lee valley has different size magnets that will fit in the  1/4 inch cup.......you will definitely have to experiment......in addition i dont know if the metal reel side will screw things up.....squidders are not metal just the spool