Penn International 50 question (vintage)

Started by Loolee 3, June 12, 2012, 05:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loolee 3

Does anyone know what year Penn stopped using the abspestos drag washer and changed to an HT 100 style?  OR.... did they never change it and that's why you must purchase the "upgraded" version from Scotts?

Here is the upgraded "Dura Drag" part #117DN-50 from Scott's:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-50.aspx

Thanks for any historical info on these reels.

Steve

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

not sure, but it was a very long time ago.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gaujo

I have been knee deep in this "historical info" for about 3 weeks ;D

Here is the chart showing all the generations of drag config on the 50.  It does not show the actual years it changed.
(see attachment below)

I have a penn international 20 that is a 1984 model and had the asbestos donut washer config.  Accoring to scotts, they went from the 50 to the 50T in the late 80s, so if you have a 50, it may be the case that all penn 50s originally had the asbestos washer, as my 84 intl' 20 did (mid 80s), and it wasn't produced past 89'.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSingleSpeed_50_50W_50T_50TW.aspx#specs

I put in the intermediate HT-100 drag washer in this old 20, which saved me about $30.  I recently had bought some 50s that already had the new dura drag plates, so I could compare two setups side by side to see if the intermediate HT-100 would work with the old metal drive plate in my 20.  I put the drag plate configs side by side and since the height was very similar, i knew it should work once i got the details worked out.  The receiving metal drag plate on the spool side (7-50) has not changed.  You'd be adding to the knowledge base if you could try the 6/1-50HT (intermediate HT-100) in a gen 1 50, but unfortunately, scotts is out and they don't make em anymore.  Basically I just wasted your time with useless knowledge, but hey we're fisherman, that's what we do.

Sooooo long story short, if you are in the process of rebuilding a intl' 50, and you are super cheap and have no problem with the fact you're creating fine particulate matter out of a known carcinogen, then buy the $10 asbestos donut (6-50) replacement, and call it a day.  
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-50.aspx

For my $, if I am gonna crack a reel open, I'm going to do the best I can, so I'd get a Carbon fiber greased washer in, and that means a $35 117DN-50.  Cheer up, the equivalent dura drag plate for a penn International 20/30 is $55!

I hope that my shade tree reel mechanic experience was helpful!  I know my reels would disagree, they squirt a little blue goop whenever they see me coming ;-)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Loolee 3

Very helpful!  Thank you for the great technical info!  My serial number starts with 083, so I'm thinking I've got the donut absbestos drag configuration.  I will go ahead and buy the carbon fiber upgrade!

Thanks again for the full investigation you did under that shade tree!  This is what we live for! 

Steve (Bodega Bay fishing and tackle hamburger)

Gaujo

Good call, there is a guy selling custom ss posts on enay for about $15 too, fyi.

GT

I need to buy dura drag kit for both an International 50 (which has absetos) and a penn 115 (HT100 in this case).

I see that on scott sbt shop are both on back order from penn with not due date.

Do you know where I can buy those instead of buying at MysticParts?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Bryan Young

You can try Fisherman's warehouse in Sacramento , California.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gaujo

Quote from: GT on July 03, 2012, 02:55:51 PM
I need to buy dura drag kit for both an International 50 (which has absetos) and a penn 115 (HT100 in this case).

I see that on Mystic Reel Parts shop are both on back order from Penn with not due date.

Do you know where I can buy those instead of buying at MysticParts?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Lorenzo, unless I am mistaken you need the drive plate + Dura Drag combined unit (black plastic drive plate).  It is in stock, but it looks like they raised the price on it from $32 to $52.50 since my original post!  Bummer.  You still want the same part, 117DN-50, that I linked in the first post.
I do not think the new drive plate requires a new pinion on a 50, but I know it does on a Intl' 30, so always double check your research first before replacing a drive plate on a Penn International.  

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Gaujo on July 03, 2012, 11:39:33 PM
...I do not think the new drive plate requires a new pinion on a 50, but I know it does on a Intl' 30...

Why?

Just wondering.

Gaujo

the teeth dont match up.  They changed the gearing somehow on a 30.  This happens sometimes over the years.  I just took apart 3 shimano TLD-15s, 2 were identical, one had different gearing.

Robert Janssen

Okay.

But... call me dense, but i don't quite understand...

if you have an International 30, and you decide to change the drag washer / drive plate, it has nothing to do with the gears / pinion.

Unless you mean that the splines on the old shaft don't fit the new drive plate.

(And maybe they changed the gear specs at the same time to avoid confusion).

Still, jus' wonderin'. No reason, really.

Gaujo

Robert Janssen

Hmm yeah, look at that... they changed the whole thing, splines and all, for some reason.

Well, we learn something new every day...

Incidentally, bringing this topic back towards where it began, Penn started using HT-100 in 1985. Don't know if the change was made for all reels in that year though.

Makule

I also have one of those old reels and need a new drag washer.  I am planning of cutting it myself, so if anyone want one too, let me know so I can figure the cost.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.