Equipment to Get Started in Reel Maintenance and Repair

Started by ak555, June 15, 2012, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak555

As this is my first post, let me begin by extending my many thanks and gratitude for this website. Not only has it help guide my tackle purchases, but has also shown me the importance of preventive maintenance and preemptively addressing reel design failures. Also, I like to extend my many thanks to the community members who have made contributions to this website.

After hours of reading rebuilds and general posts, I am about to invest in reel maintenance equipment.  As such, I have compiled a list of what I am planning to initially purchase to  service approximately 10 reels (mostly Penn conventionals (320gt2, 113h, II 30tw), Shimano spinners (Spheros 14,000fb, 18,000fb and smaller inshore reels) and a Torium 20 and/or a Penn Baja Special (113hn) I plan to purchase in the near future.  Also, I am looking to add some Shimano Tyrnos or TLDs into the mix for trolling in the near future.

As such, I want to make sure my beginning shopping list is complete, the items selected are correct, and are not overly redundant. Most importantly, I want to make sure I understand their uses.  Accordingly, there are a few questions mixed in my list where I am requesting further guidance from the community.

I have included links to where I plan to purchase the non-hardware/automotive store items and the prices (without shipping) to aid other people interested in getting started.   My vendor selections were based on factors such as recommendations found on this website and the ability to combine items from vendors to reduce shipping charges and the time invested to acquire the items.  (Please note that I selected items from Amazon which were eligible for free shipping w/ a purchase over $25 as they are sold/fulfilled by Amazon).

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Lubricants and Cleaners

Carb Cleaner Aerosol Can – $5
•   Used to clean out grease, dirt, grime from all types and uses of bearings  
         -   any automotive store

Cal's Drag Grease (1 lb tub) - $25
•   Used to grease carbontex drags and HT-100 drags
         --   https://www.mysticparts.com/LubesCleaners/Cals2Speed/T1LB.aspx
         --  www.smoothdrags.com

TSI 301 (8oz can) - $23 or TSI 321 (4oz bottle) - $9
•   Used to lubricate stainless-steel ball bearings (all types and applications, spool, etc.)  by dipping bearings into it.
         --    http://www.detectorbuy.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=256

Yamaha Marine Grease (14oz tube) - $5.53
•   Used to grease all screw holes, exposed metal parts, main gears, inside of side plates.
               ---- Alan: Do you still pack bearings with this grease given your use of TSI 301?
                 ----    If so, when and how do you differentiate which bearings to pack?

--   http://www.boats.net/index.php?p=product&id=881614&parent

Corrosion X (  16 oz. Aerosole) - $ 15.95
•   multipurpose lubricant for anti-reverse dogs, etc and anything that does not get Yamaha marine grease or TSI
        --   http://www.charkbait.com/cs/maintena.htm

Electronics Compressed Gas Duster – $6 / can
•   to dry and blow out parts
        --   any office supply/hardware store

Tools

Ratcheting screwdriver set w/ hex, etc. – $25.51
•   I am not quite ready to invest in the $100 powered version recommended by Alan given the other outlays at this time.  As such, I am thinking of purchasing the following.
        --   http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2840-Everybit-Screwdriver-105-Piece/dp/B000NPUJTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1339219903&sr=1-1

25lb Spring Scale – $ 17
•   Used for checking drag weights and setting drags
         --   http://www.amazon.com/ProFish-Game-Fishing-Drag-Scale/dp/B0007REUHK/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339310670&sr=1-12

Caliper – Micrometer (Digital) - $15.69
•   measuring misc. parts, but mainly bearing sizes
       --  http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-Extra-Large-SAE-Metric-Conversion/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1339265189&sr=1-1

Spool-Pin Puller – $15 est.
•   to remove spool pins
       --   Modify a pair of vice grips with the dremel tool per a post on this website

Toothbrush – $1
•   Used to apply Yamaha marine grease to sideplates and other areas.

Small Brushes - $ 4
•   Used to apply misc. lubricants to various parts

3oz Grease Gun with 3.5 in Extension - $16.90
•   packing grease into bearings and greasing screw holes
       --   http://www.amazon.com/Plews-30-132-Pistol-Extension-Lubrimatic/dp/B000G76OKW

Blowgun Inflator Kit - $4
•   Used for making the air needle attachment to for the grease gun.
       --  Automotive or Hardware Store

Bearing Packer Set - $ 60
•   From Alantani.com
          --  Is this necessary to have given that TSI 301 appears to be the preferred lubricant for bearings?  
             ---  Are there certain bearings where packing grease is preferred rather than using TSI 301?

--  appears that Alan has a brass bearing packer and delron prototypes for sale.  
                 ---What is the difference?
                 ---  Which one do you recommend?
                 ---   What are their costs?

Dremel Tool - $50 - $90 est. depending on kit
•   Used to cut, grind, route, polish, etc.
        --  Have not yet researched best kit for quality, value and attachments.

Set of SAE and Metric Allen Wrenches Long Handle - $13.66
•   http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-753-Piece-Long-Metric/dp/B000NIFJQE/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Alan Tani  Penn Handle Wrench - $15
•   to remove handle nuts on many different Penn reels
        --   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/168-TANI.aspx

Standard Penn Wrench – 168-115 - $0.55
•   to use as bearing puller
        --   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/168-115.aspx

168A-70 Torque Wrench - $3.15
        --   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/168A-70.aspx

Accessories

SurgicalNitrile gloves
•   packing grease into grease gun and other messy jobs.  Apparently after doing some additional reading about using brake / carb cleaner,  you do not want to use latex gloves with those products as it will eat through them.

Plastic table cloth
•   I don't have a work bench / garage, so need something to protect the table.

Plastic Storage Containers for Parts
•   One for each manufacturer, or part type. depending on personal organizational system.

Digital Camera
•   Used to take a lot of pictures while taking reels apart.

Where to Buy Parts

Penn Reel Parts
•   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Home.aspx

Shimano Reel Parts
•   Per:  http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/FAQ.html

"Parts can be ordered directly from Shimano or a Shimano Authorized Warranty Center either by phone or by mail. Shimano American Corporation customer service can be contacted Monday – Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time at 1-877-577-0600, to help expedite your phone order please have your part numbers available when calling.

Parts request by mail can be sent to:
Shimano American Corporation
One Holland Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Attention: Customer Service"

Bearings
•   Boca Bearings
      --  www.bocabearings.com/default.aspx

Carbontex Drag Washers
•   Smooth Drag
       --  http://smoothdrag.com/

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Wow, that's a very comprehensive list.

Note that if you are going to buy a bunch of stuff from Alan, you might as well buy a can or two of TSI301 from him because not factored in is the shipping price.  He could include the can in the flat rate box along with the other stuff you are interested in buying from him.

Bearing packers are extra tools that are uses specifically for pinion, crank shaft bearings, end plate bearings (on lever drags if provided),...Essentially, all other bearings not associated with the spinning of the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

AK---Great list, I would strongly suggest you replace the ratcheting screw driver with a cordless, they can be bought relatively cheap (you don't need anything powerful 4.9 volt does it for me), and a screwdriver bit set also.

I found a  100 Piece Security Bit Set (item #91310) and cordless screw driver at Harbor Freight, money well spent, you'll end up with carpel tunnel syndrome in a matter of minutes the other way, plus I sometimes find it difficult holding and turning screws by hand, the magnetic tips help hold non-stainless steel screws.  I've also discovered the cordless helps tame the frustration of taking the same reel apart for the 3rd time  >:(, because there are some extra parts left over or it "just doesn't feel right".  ;D

I have used a piece of large cardboard as a work mat on the kitchen table with good success, the cardboard helps absorb cleaners and degreasers, keeping the work site cleaner, then just throw away when too crusty to use again.

For a toothbrush/brushes, my kids still think the green stuff on their brushes is "extra flouride" ;D Any brush will do you, find the ones the dentist gives me after a visit work great or a set of "acid" brushes with the metal handles work fine also.

You'll also need some kind of punch to remove the gear sleeve on the Penn's, anything from a nail to a 1/16" punch will do.

Try Harbor Freight for alot of the hand tools....they may not be name brands...but the price is nearly "always right".

Welcome to a wonderful and informative site, and a great bunch of people who enjoy the sport of fishing and reel repair.---Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Nessie Hunter

Awesome!!!!!

Suggestions.  
1 Lb is a whole lot of Cals..  
For that few Reels ~ 1 oz would be a much better match with 80/90% left over..
Just a light finger coat on drags.....

The Nut tool??  
I use the 8 in 1 that Dawn at Smooth drags sells.
Has 4 Penn sizes and 4 Metric, fits almost every Reel I have ever worked on.
The 10 mm Socket fits all the smaller ones, Cheap 10 mm Socket on Driver...

The Pin Shaft tool Should not be needed with Penn Reels..
But for Other Daiwa, SHimano, Abu Garcia Smaller reels..
Trust me youll get to them!!!!!!!  lol
Dont waste your time, Buy the Boca Pin Tool Advertised here??  
Here it is from "Pro Reel" (Member)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4486.0
Amazing tool for Shaft Pins...
I Have the one ReelSpeed made and its very close to the same - life saver!!

Cals, ReelX, Met-Ol,  Drags, bearings, a few tools.
Please Use Dawn at Smoothdrags.com
She is a member here, wonderful person and small business we all support (and a Neighbor of mine) :-)

The bearing Packer is another amazing tool..  Pack them without removing Shields.  Everything except Spool bearings and level winds will take Grease, in one form or another...
I Have one and Love it....  

Be afraid, be very afraid, your venturing into the Dark Side!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

worth a sticky and a wrench.  can i get your address?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gaujo

I got a 12v b&d lithuim cordless for reel work.  Adjustable chuck, comes with an extra battery, capable of very light torque settings( i use #2 ) and variable speed trigger.  Mine was $45.  Home depot sells it with an extra batt and will price match lowes who has it on sale for $45.  Once u take em apart the 3rd time, like he said above, you wont regret it!
www.lowes.com/pd_15819-79992-LDX112C_0__?productId=3285414

Also,i got the $20 dremel kit from harbor freight and it met all my reel maint needs.  Looks like its on sale for $10.49!
www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Clem

Awesome list....starts to add up aye?

Just a small tip if you are going to start doing spinners, particularly some of the Shimano's; you will need a smaller Hex/Allen key..you should be able to find them cheap enough - they just don't usually come with a standard set. You will need a .9mm (this is for the lock screw that holds the main assembly screw for the line roller assembly. - not all Shimano spinners, but Twin Power etc

Just one of those annoying sizes that most people don't have... :) and cause you another trip to the store just when you got comfortable...

seaeagle2

I would recommend getting a few dog springs for the Penns, they are very small and easy to lose (guess how I know) and not very expensive, so having a few extras around for when they go shooting off into the great unknown is pretty handy.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

ak555

Thank you for all the suggestions.  Please keep them coming.

I am convinced. I will be replacing the ratcheting screwdriver set with a power one.  I haven't had time to compare the recommendations yet, but will be deciding in the near future.

Great suggestion on buying the extra dog springs.  I will be ordering some Penn parts in the near future, so I will add them to my list.

Looked at the spool-pin pliers and they look like they work great.  They are little expensive in the front end, but I am sure they pay for themselves quickly (ie. lowering frustration and not having to replace parts damaged in the process).

The dremel tool from Harbor Freight sounds good too. I actually don't expect to be using it that often, so an inexpensive one would work for me.  Not to mention, it will help to keep the cost of the initial outlay down.

Looking to start my first couple projects in about 2 weeks.  First, I am going to upgrade the drags on a Spheros 14K and an 18K (for a little confidence booster).  Then I am going to break-down some Penn 113's to grease them and replace the drags with HT100s.  

Also, I am planning to do the dog upgrade, bearing addition, and carbontex drag upgrade on the new Torium 20 that I bought this week.  Already ordered the parts from Shimano and the Carbontex drags / Cal's grease from Dawn at Smoothdrags.  Might have a few questions on the way regarding the Torium.

Finally, I have already printed and bookmarked numerous rebuilds for the conventional reels, but I have a few unanswered questions.  I am going to post in the next day or so those questions, so any help would be much appreciated.  Also, will likely have some questions about packing grease into bearings. So please look out for my posts in other sections of this website.

Gaujo

Ya for me the time consuming part is screws and bearings, so good ur looking at a powered option. I would get a set of mr. tani's bearing packers if ur doing > 2 or 3 reels
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

floating doc

I'm also new to this, and have been slowly adding the tools needed. My biggest problem has been getting the bearings out. I tried to modify a couple of paint can openers, and a Penn wrench. I need a bearing puller!
I sent an email (or maybe two) to one of the members that makes bearing pullers (I forgot his member name). No reply.
Central Florida

coastalobsession

Another store for parts is www.southwesternparts.com
-great customer service

As for a bearing puller I got a wire coat hanger and cut a 4in section off. I flattened one side about 1/2 inches long and took a dermal to it to make it thinner. Later I took a pair of pliers and bent the flattened end in a L shape and made a ledge about 1/10 of a inch long
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

wallacewt

i made a couple out of ss bike spokes,good for small bearings also

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!