115 (9/0) Side Plates Swelling. Why?

Started by dogdad1, June 24, 2012, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I think I heard of frozen plates and heated rings in the past to get them to fit, but never tried it myself.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bruce

I have used variations of that method on auto or equipment pieces difficult to remove, but what I was wondering is if heat,drying had been tried on the sideplates to shrink them
Used liquid nitrogen to remove camshaft dowel while cam in engine.

Buzz
Buzz

dogdad1

Good thought, Sal.  I considered freezing & heating the pieces too to refit them, but then started worrying about why/how they got that way in the first place.  And that made me shy away from doing it because I wasn't sure if they'd just keep swelling over time and break my new rings or cause something else to bind or crack.  In any case, I never thought to measure the before-and-after dimensions, but based on the amount of dust I created I'd say it was quite a bit.

I'd have to assume that all of the plastic (feels and smells like Bakelite, is it ?) must have grown a little, but as far as I can tell none of the smaller holes or spaces were affected enough %-wise to make any difference as I re-assemble the reel.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Mandelstam

Did a little google research about phenolic plastics (bakelite amongst others).

Wikipedia states: Note that phenolic resin products are apt to swell slightly if they are used in areas which are perpetually damp. Varnishing the product helps to prevent this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Also found an experiment made to Walther P38 pistol grips made from bakelite and their resistance to oil:
http://p-38.info/pdf/bakelite_experiment_plus_1_rev_1.pdf

It seems that the problem is water and dampness, not oils or lubricants. So drying them out and applying a varnish is maybe the answer. What kind of varnish you should use I have no idea though. Linseed oil maybe? Good penetration and hardens in sunlight to a really hard surface.

To my understanding Penn switched from bakelite a few years in the 80's but switched back again after a few years. But if they still are using bakelite or some other more modern phenolic or have switched to a totally different plastic I don't know.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: dogdad1 on June 25, 2012, 07:41:21 PM

On a semi-related note, I've usually seen the reel described as a 115L (with the "L") which I think signifies it has an aluminum spool.  I have the chrome spool, so does that mean it's a 115 (plain)? 

Thanks in advance!

You're right, Ron. When Penn started selling reels with the aluminum spools, they added the 'L' for "Lightweight" and the chrome/brass spools were marked 'M' for "Metal". Before L spools, the reels weren't marked with a letter. Somewhere in time, Penn marketed the 'SP' spools which are intended for wire line. At least that's how I understand it. (Broadway) Dom or Sal can probably shed some light on the SPs.

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

You are correct Rob, "SP" is for Special Senator.... wire line. If I remember correctly, I believe the earlier model Senators had the letter "L" on left hand models, it is now used for lightweight...aluminum spool.
Keep this link for future references:
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=4435&highlight=trolling+wire
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.