KMART rod

Started by Bill B, February 28, 2021, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

For $10 I couldn't pass this rod up.  What's intriguing is even though the rod appears to be a stout roller rod, it is quite limber, rated an IGFA 30 lb rod.  The roller guides are no name as well as the reel seat.  The gimbal end is quite heavy also. At 6 1/2', the all fiberglass rod may make a good rock cod rod after a re-wrap with standard guides......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

:)  I would not past up that kind of a deal either , that is nice stick to play with .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Good rod, Bill!

Some of you old-timers, like me, may recall that during the 70's & 80's — K-Mart was the largest retailer of fishing and outdoor gear in the world.

They carried most of the top quality gear like Penn, Mitchell, Fenwick, DAM Quick, Remington, Browning, Winchester, etc.

And they had their own lines under various names that they sourced directly from other top quality manufacturers under contract — that were rebadged.  Basically like trade reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

If the rollers are working, why change them out?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

I agree Fred, Kmart had some great stuff, also Thrifty drug stores in Southern California had quality name brand tackle, especially near the coast.....

Dominick, the rollers just seem like over kill on a 30 lb rod.....if fishing with Dacron or cuttyhunk I could see using the rollers, but with braid and mono just seems like too much.....it would make a great wall hanger with a 3/0 or 4/0 though.....I'm open to suggestions on the viability of leaving them.

Bill

philaroman

Ocean Side reels were Olympic OEM -- good chance rod is, too
only handled few older, lighter Olympic spinning rods -- seemed like decent glass w/ mediocre components

Cuttyhunker

Have rebuilt a few OS's, they seem pretty rugged, I like them.  Check the glue is good with a hefty twist on both sides of the reel seat, have had them arrive with handles falling off or missing.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Agree with Dominick. If you're gonna bottom fish or troll, why not reduce the friction on your line, even 30#? That is if the bushings are in good rolling condition. Great $ find!
Looks from the wraps(Gfish-lookin)like the former owner added those roller guides.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on March 02, 2021, 03:33:21 PM
Agree with Dominick. If you're gonna bottom fish or troll, why not reduce the friction on your line, even 30#? That is if the bushings are in good rolling condition. Great $ find!
Looks from the wraps(Gfish-lookin)like the former owner added those roller guides.

See?  Great minds think alike.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Billy-boy, that rod needs a new dress, and you have the skilzzzz. While you have the guides off- when i get one like that, I dissasemble and soak in white vinegar just like a reel part, Corrosion X on bushings and back together. I try to keep the oil off the roller itself so it doesnt leave scent on my line.

Bill B

Ok I'm convinced, no mas....no mas..... ;D ;D....I  will clean it up and keep the rollers.....Bill

Dominick

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 03, 2021, 03:52:51 AM
Ok I'm convinced, no mas....no mas..... ;D ;D....I  will clean it up and keep the rollers.....Bill

Bill, you gave in too easily.   :D ;D  Dominick

Brewcrafter

Hey, that is a SERIOUSLY cool rod, nothing wrong with a little cleanup, oil those guide rollers and have at it! That is a sweet piece, maybe a little long in the years but you gotta know - it could catch fish back then it can certainly catch fish now. - john