Alphamar 12

Started by Keta, November 07, 2011, 02:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Has anyone used or worked on a Alphamar 12? 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Haven't seen one in NZ yet, but understand they're fairly new.
They're s'posed to have been field-tested and refined in Oz, which would generally be a good sign.
27lbs of drag seems unusually high, which could indicate a Revo Toro-esque overstatement. But I doubt anyone would actually try to fish a reel of this type at those kind of pressures. Nearly 500 yards of 30# braid is good, though.
I'd be keen to hear how it fishes too Keta!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

reminds me of a daiwa saltist!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I ordered one and a Penn Fathom 25N and will try to take some photos of them when I tear them apart to grease the things that need it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redpaulhus

Has anybody pulled apart the Alphamar yet ?
the one I handled at BassPro felt (and looked) alot like a graphite version of my Fin Nor ofc16L (although my Fin Nor isn't a level wind).

I just picked up a "reconditioned" one on Ebay for about half of retail, and I'm trying to decide if I want to use it as my first foray into servicing my own reels (everything I know about cars and houses is from "DIY" and breaking more than I fix until I've fixed 300% more than was originally broken - I figure this will be similar, 'doh ! )

It will eventually be my wife's reel for tautog, seabass, haddock, etc here in the northeast - she did well with a similar Diawa Seagate on a recent charter but isn't comfortable thumbing the line across the spool herself.

Blinged out Shakespeare Tidewater.  Lots of negative comments on the catfishing forums, can't recall specific's but you could search for them at catfish1.

Keta

I haven't used mine for larger fish but so far it has performed well.   I like what it looks like inside too.

Mark Twain

fisher480

I have a new Alphamar 16 and yes it is in pieces as we speak. The most interesting thing is the drag. ABU specify a carbontex drag yet the washer below the main gear is not a carbontex washer. It looks the same as the old drag washer material used in the old ABU baitcasters. The washer dimensions are OD 27mm/ ID 12.75mm and the thickness is 0.84mm. Smooth drag washer No 38 is very close. I will be getting one before the spanish mackerel start running.

I'll do some pictures when I get home. Overall very happy with the reel. My friend has one and he owns a tackle shop. He did say initially the drag was a little sticky but now OK. The washer may be the problem. Note that the carbon washers were all dry.

fisher480

Now for a few pictures. The first one shows the drag washers

fisher480

Overall picture. Similar design to a Tekota but no bushes.

fisher480

Same back up anti reverse system as the Shimano. Good beefy set of gears.