Penn Squall

Started by Bryan Young, June 21, 2012, 05:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi guys,

I had the priviledge to do a pre-use service on 2 of these reels and must say, i think Penn got it right on the Squalls 30 and larger.  I'm speaking of right handed reels.  the left handed reels are opposite.  Pull the schematics.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#Squall

You will see that penn has added a thrust bearing in the spool and another thrust bearing in the right side plate to handle the side load...or now there is no side load.  They also added a spool bearing sleeve.  These reels, opened bearings, will probably case a mile (figuratively).

I wish I took some pics...maybe next time.  But if any of you have one and is willing to open her up, check it out.  Awesome reel.  I wonder if Penn would consider making them in a aluminum frame.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brian A

Mahalo for the report.  Only hear good things about this reel, specifically the 60.  I got 2, think I'm gonna pick up another. Any other comments appreciated. Aloha

Bryan Young

Quote from: jaybri on July 08, 2012, 05:57:19 AM
Mahalo for the report.  Only hear good things about this reel, specifically the 60.  I got 2, think I'm gonna pick up another. Any other comments appreciated. Aloha
No probs bradah.  I am still worried about the use of the graphite frame.  The difference is there are additional stress members, and only time will gell if it will withstand the pressures.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D