Difficulty in cranking lefthanded version of Avet LX6

Started by nah885@gmail.com, July 09, 2012, 05:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nah885@gmail.com

Ok guys, ready for the news. Yep, samething no difference. I have swap only the gear for the left to the right plate as the pinion bearings proves very challenging to remove. Of course it looks weird as the lever imprint will show the opposite. That is where I have to be careful when switching the gears but retightening the cam knob, I will need to know the opposite direction. Please if I may asked if any kind folks out there if possible can they go and checked with any tackle dealer near them for a compare of the left and right hand cranking. I am hoping it is not the gear. Like I said, switching back and forth numerous times to figure out is really time consuming.

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

nah885@gmail.com

In that case, I will wait for the new shipment of the bearings from Dawn and replaced them both sets LH and RH. Currently, brains are frozen. But fyi, what I did was let the LH plate to ride with the RH gears with no pinion bearings or any bearings swap as I find difficult to remove the pinion bearings. But what I understood from it after careful examination, it seems they are the same. This is what I did. I merely swap the big gear and the small gear and the disc break as well as the cam and the lever part of the LH to the RH frame and plate. As the current RH does not have any issue. After which, I did the cranking test. The effect is still the same. Which means, the cranking is the same. However, on the RH parts, I did the same swap to the LH plate which held the bearing presumably 'damage' but the result of which remains as smooth no difficulty in cranking. Which means they are infact no change in performance. My assessment of it is not the bearing as if it is, the RH parts using the LH plate with existing pinion bearing insert will have produce the same difficulty to crank. My first suspect was the gears but upon inspection, there wasn't any damage to the teeth. Both the pinion and the bigger gear. But what I say was that the small black plastic clip which held the spring of the 'S'shape anti reverse was riding to close to the bigger gear. What I did was bend it up higher and the effect was less difficulty. But what I discovered further was that the black clip when I run it in reverse mode, it seems it has less drag. But if in the normal mode, it doesn't exert much force. Same with the RH parts. What I am going to do is take a closer look at the black plastic which holds the clip and the gear with the stud and compare it with the RH section and see if it may have been fix wrongly. Currently am tired after spending a good 3 hours to see what actually is causing the problem. Sure, I will still change the lousy paid up for bearings with Dawn hop up bearings. Will have to wait from Dawn to email me.

nah885@gmail.com

Greetings, bad news. Just received words that Dawn doesn't have the specs for the bearings. Which means  I am stuck with a lousy reel. Hopefully if any one can help me as it is near impossible for me to plonk more cash to get a caliper to measure those bearings sizes. Appreciate sincerely if anyone in this forum can help to list down the size. Alternatively, I may have to just find the time and strip the reels apart and buy one of those calipers and sent the specs for the bearings. Besides, I am not sure if I am going to have much use with the caliper in the long run. Am specifically just wanting this reels to be useful. Not so much into buying more reels or doing any much modification. What say you guys. Opinions please. Advise please. Am getting fed up with both the distributor as well as Avet. Really regretted buying a piece of junk. Make that two pieces.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

skered53

Nah, you spoke (or wrote) about using just 18# mono , and then later about going down to 15# mono,  with 18# mono your drag should be no more than 6# of pull when you secure the rod and pull line off without putting any bend on the rod.  like wise with 15# line, your drag setting should be 5#   ( 33% of line strength)  Avet actually recomends betwen 25 to 30 % I think.     See my post re the pinion bearing sizes and links to where you can get them.