YET ANOTHER DIY SPOOL PIN REMOVAL TOOL

Started by LTM, July 14, 2012, 01:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

FYI,

I dont use this tool like a hammer, by setting things up and then just applying "Gorilla" strength and push the pin out in one squeeze of the handle I use finesse (glad we got spell check) and oil. My pin pliers work on my smallest (Daiwa Coastal 153H small baitcaster) to those long/skinny pins in my Shimano's and Penn 750SS spinning reels). Again if scratches are your concern then take counter measures (tape, etc). If your concerned about bending the spool shaft then monitor the size of the notch in the lower jaw of my version (or maybe get a larger plier with more surface area on the jaws). Alans version supports as well. Has anyone else other than Alan and I (good company to be in) tried this type of pin pusher, if so please comment? BTW, Im not busting any of the beautiful pin pliers that do this, but for now this works great for me.

Thanx,

Leo

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on April 23, 2015, 03:14:01 PM

I dont understand what a counter is first-off. However, Ive not had any pin alignment/slipping issues to date, The jaws have grooves (for gripping) that I line-up the pins in and Im careful when using it. Maybe something extra would be good. Id like to see what you have in mind. This tool comes from the great mind of my reel mentor Pete (Just Fishing, Redondo Bch, CA) who uses a larger set of Snap On adjustable pliers without the locking mechanism. For my reels this size works great. If I needed more leverage and adjustment; a separate larger wrench would be best instead of trying to use a larger one on my smaller size reels/needs.

Leo

PS Check out Alan T's post on his Vise Grip mod (dont know where it is), because if THE BOSS has been using his on THOUSANDS of reels IT MUST WORK PRETTY GOOD (even on EXPENSIVE reels). Especially if you have an old rusted pair of either of these types of pliers laying around. I just dont understand the need for the HH tool unless you want a "COOL LOOKING TOOL."

Leo: What I meant was, using a 1/8 drill bit for instance and drilling the opposite jaw with a slight counter bore (depth 1/32"-1/16") for the pin to be seated in. But since you have stated that you have no slippage problem, then I guess there is no need. I agree on making your own tools as well, they usually work better in the long run anyway and most of the time less expensive. I'm way beyond COOL!  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

A small depression to hold the pin sounds like a good idea, but I havent found a desire to do it YET.

Thanx for the idea,

Leo

PS Not sure about placement of the depression and possibility of interference of placement/location when removing different pins from different size/model reels. The jaw grooves give me latitude/flexibility.

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on April 23, 2015, 04:00:13 PM

A small depression to hold the pin sounds like a good idea, but I havent found a desire to do it YET.

Thanx for the idea,

Leo

PS Not sure about placement of the depression and possibility of interference of placement/location when removing different pins from different size/model reels. The jaw grooves give me latitude/flexibility.

I see, okay then I will give it a try with the same brand channel lock type pliers and see how it will work for me. a $10.00 investment is not a lot of money to experiment with, so why not!
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 23, 2015, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: LTM on April 23, 2015, 04:00:13 PM

Thanx for the idea,

Leo

I see, okay then I will give it a try with the same brand channel lock type pliers and see how it will work for me. a $10.00 investment is not a lot of money to experiment with, so why not!

If you end up not liking the modded tool, as long as you have enough surftace on the lower jaw you can still use the pliers.
224, what name do you go by.

Leo

Reel 224

Leo: My name is Joe at least that is what everyone has called me for 69 years, but my first name is Fiore and middle name is Joseph so Joe has stuck with me for short.

LTM

Modified the title by adding "YET" as I originally thought to title the post.

Leo