ABU Record No. 60 ARB removal

Started by Lunker Larry, July 27, 2012, 04:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Hello everyone. I've been a long time user of the information provided by this web site. Never had to register as I could always find an answer to what I was looking for but need your expertise now.
I have a ABU Record 60 that needs a new anti-reverse bearing. Trouble is the bearing/side plate come as one part (pressed in at the factory) and it is no longer available from ABU.
I am located in Ottawa, Canada and cannot get a side plate for this reel anywhere here. If I was to remove a bearing from an old 6500, what would be the best way to do so without crushing the plastic guides or popping out the roller bearings. I've done it once before using a socket set and it worked, but I don't know if I was doing it right or just lucky.
Hoping someone else may have had experience doing this or can point me to a source for a side plate.

I'm retired and as a hobby repair and clean reels for my Muskie Canada club. Ref this reel, I have opened 3 of them and 2 have had the problem of the bearing falling apart.

Appreciate your time on this. Thanks
Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Bryan Young

Hi Lunker Larry.

Welcome. 

Your method is what I'm doing as well.  Socket pushing is the same or close to the bearing size, and the support, just big enough so that the bearing would fall into the socket.

Place in vice where vice only contacts the sockets...then crank it slowly and check, and double check as you go (Okay, I check and check as I go 'cause I don't want to make a mistake)

Also use corrosionX on the bearing, try to get between the side plate and the bearing before the pushing and shoving begin.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

Thanks Bryan. Like I said, I did it but wasn't sure if I was lucky or not. No Corrosion X but maybe a little penetrating oil sitting for a while would also help. Never thought of that.

Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

That Abu would no longer have as common a part as a sideplate available, is disheartening.  Especially since the Record is still distributed as a current model, not discontinued.  Makes you wonder if Pure Fishing doesnt have a bullseye marked on the made in Sweden models in favor for their disposable Revo's.