CorrosionX on Penn International 975 star drag.....

Started by LUCC, July 25, 2012, 07:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LUCC

So all my reels are in pretty decent shape, I take pretty good care of them and they receive very little abuse. My prior maintenance was just mist with freshwater, wipe down and then give a squirt of reel oil in some spots. After reading this site for a couple weeks I think a bit more maintenance would be a good thing. I order a spray bottle of Corrosion X and planning on getting some Cal's or the Yamaha marine grease. My question is, what exactly should I grease and use Corrosion X on? I took apart my 975 and obviously see the parts that are greased, should I try to clean and put some Cals or Yamaha marine grease on there, the drag washers, etc. and then use CorrosionX for all other moving parts and metal? What about bearings, do I have to take them apart or can I just submerge in some CorrosionX?
I tried looking for a write that shows what you should grease and what you should use CorrosionX, I found a couple but still wanted to see if there was a thread that goes over every working part of the reel. If there is a thread like that could you point me in that direction?
Thanks!

Bryan Young

you can use grease and corrosionX almost interchangably, but I lighly grease all moving parts and side plates.  Then add a bit of corrosionX on all moving parts except the gears.

Bearings, lube with corrosionX.

CF drag washers, grease with Cal's.

Is the 975 with level wind?  I cannot recall.  Is so, level wind assemlby gets only corrosionX like the bearings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LUCC

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 25, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
you can use grease and corrosionX almost interchangably, but I lighly grease all moving parts and side plates.  Then add a bit of corrosionX on all moving parts except the gears.

Bearings, lube with corrosionX.

CF drag washers, grease with Cal's.

Is the 975 with level wind?  I cannot recall.  Is so, level wind assemlby gets only corrosionX like the bearings.
Yes, the 975 is level wind with the star drag.