What type of grease do you use to grease the inside of the reels.

Started by GF714, September 02, 2009, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InVision

What should the reel parts be cleaned and soaked with before installing and lubrication?  I would be using in our home, so please don't tell diesel or something :-)

Thanks,

M

Tiddlerbasher

I use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) - in a container in an ultrasonic bath - some use lighter fuel or carb cleaner

RowdyW

Quote from: InVision on September 23, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
What should the reel parts be cleaned and soaked with before installing and lubrication?  I would be using in our home, so please don't tell diesel or something :-)

Thanks,

M
Try a household degreaser like Simple Green in a bowl, soak a while then scrub with a small stiff brush. I do it in the kitchen sink then rinse with hot water. Then dump it down the drain & rinse the sink.

johndtuttle

It depends on what the parts have on them for me....and you always have to be mindful to use plastic safe stuff if there is any present.

Old dirty grease I use Simple Green or even Windex or Dawn detergent. If it's a part I don't need to remove just scrub it with a toothbrush soaked with Corrosion-X <-- this will cut the old gummy grease and remove surface corrosion very well.