BEARING PULLER ANYONE?

Started by LTM, July 24, 2012, 06:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

floating doc

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 27, 2012, 04:20:46 PM
Meeting up with my brother next weekend with  material to make a few.  I don't think we need ever size, but was thinking 2 mm, 4 mm, 6, mm, 8 mm would be sufficient for most applications.  Therefore, the set will consist of 2 pullers.  What do you guys think?

What's the latest on the bearing puller project?
Central Florida

ReelSpeed

I decided to abandon our current bearing puller design because I was not happy that it only worked on some bearings..and was a pain in the neck for me to make.  it is better than nothing, but when you really need to pull on a bearing you need something else.  In the next week or two(after we finish the batch of pin pliers), I will finally get a chance to release our new bearing puller that will take care of this problem.  They are not going to be very cheap, but it will be the correct tool that should have been made all along.  The first priority will be the 1/8" & 3mm ID, as they seem to be the hardest to get out, but I think I can run other sizes in the same batch...just need to see how it plays out. planning for 3mm, 1/8", 4mm, 3/16", 5mm, 6mm, & 1/4".  Maybe larger sizes later, but these seem to be the majority of bearings.

I am actually pretty excited about these since there are so many other fields who have a need for this..

So I am pretty much discontinuing the current design..but I am exited to see the next ones come into production.  There seems to be a real need for a bearing puller for these small bearings, that will work every time.   I will keep our page updated as things come along.

Aaron
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

wallacewt

hi aaron
put up what you have and havent got for sale.
what is available.
at smooth drag.

buitrechico

Ricardo Dell´Aquila

ReelSpeed

They don't make those anymore...but our new ones will work in a very similar way.  Except in our application for reels, our puller will have the kind of handle that will actually allow you to pull on bearings.  They just got back from Heat Treatment and hopefully by the beginning of next week they will be back from the EDM shop..  Can't wait. This first run will handle 1/8" ID, 3mm ID & 4mm+5/32" ID Bearings.  These seem to be the hardest to remove.

Here is a preview before the EDM work has been done:

Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Ron Jones

Very nice. Can't wait to get a set of those!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

Hi all,

Pulling bearings is still THE weak link in my reel servicing. Im still bending and destroying tools in my attempts (not all of them successful) to remove bearings  ???.

Bryan, thanx for all your efforts in getting custom parts to us and its highly appreciated. Have you and your brother spoken about those "L" shaped bearing pullers lately? I know time and money are tight now-a-days; just wondering if its still a viable project for you.

Lee, I know the same holds true for you as well (time/money) and thanx for your current/past efforts. However, maybe you would consider making/selling some of your deck screw modified bearing pullers in say 4 sizes?

Please, somebody HELP!!!!  I'll take a set of who-evers bearing pullers!!!!

Leo

alantani

leo, i have an old set that i will send out to you.  i am usually able to wrench them out without a puller.  if i can get your address again, i will send it down.  just pm me your address.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

harryk3616

what i'm looking for is a puller to pull rusted pinion gears off of the end of a spool, tried making a mini one didn't, work, need like a small battery terminal puller, i end up cutting the pinion gear off with my dremel and then have to replace the pinion gear, any thoughts?  harryk

alantani

get two matching screwdrivers.  place the blade of each one under the pinion gear, both pointed in and at opposite sides.  now twist each one clockwise and you will be able to apply equal pressure upwards.  that should lift it up evenly.  the problem with prying up on only one side is the uneven pressure. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I like the bearing puller concept, but am wondering if some sort of adjustable or adaptable puller could be developed to handle varying inner diameters.  The smaller ones tend to give the most troubles, but I mostly work on larger 80 and 130 class reels.  These reels, w/ the exception of the senators, have much larger bearings that are certainly prone to excessive corrosion.  Fortunately, even in the worse cases, I have been able to break them free w/standard methods.  The bearing buried deep within the main drive bushing on thr Everol 14/0 was the exception.  

Also,  Might I suggest consideration be given to development of an adjustable (ratchet and belt?) tool/wrench that could make quick work of threaded heat shields.  These guys probably give me more consistent trouble then any of the other reel parts found in the very common and numerous older trolling reel models.  I have had some success utilizing an oil filter wrench, but the problem w/this is the straps are too wide.  Most heat shields have a consistent and relatively small width of heat shield with which to work, and varying diameters (corresponding closely to spool diameter).  Maybe I just need to shop around, and find the 'right' filter wrench that I can modify/morph into a good universal heat shield wrench?

Another thought that comes to mind, as long as we are discussing tools to make reel work easier, is a universal or adjustable wrench to take the place of all of those flimsy reel-specific specialty wrenches (I.e.  VSX series, older international/tiagra models, ect.  I am envisioning a flat wrench whereby one could adjust the inner diameter (by sliding inside and out) to fit the reel size.  One wrench to cover all Tiagra's and internationals, another for the VSXs, and others?).  Maybe it would be more trouble then it's worth?   After all, the thin flimsy ones that come with the reels do fit, and work sometimes..and there are always work arounds.

Just some thoughts/suggestions.  I'm sure you have already thought the bearing pullers' designs through.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

migelito

Anyone ever replace a manual transmissions clutch? How did you get the pilot bearing out?
Ive used this twice with success. Sand down a wooden dowel to a snug but not tight fit into the hole. Fill hole with grease and tap the dowel into hole. Another was is to use the backend of a drill bit that fits snug. carfull not to pound too hard and keep adding grease as it starts to push out

Bryan Young

I've tried that but the grease just comes out through the bearing
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 21, 2014, 02:10:19 PM
I've tried that but the gear just comes out through the bearing

Grease grease.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.