Land Based Shark Fishing - The 14/0 Debut

Started by pbmang, July 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbmang

Thats pretty cool Miami.  I have a friend in south Florida who fishes a lot of the bridges and whatnot.  One of these day's I'd love to get down there and give it a go.

It's funny you mention the big nurse shark onemako.  A few years ago my wife caught one that went 8ft 1inch.  It was a beast.  We actually now have a replica of it hanging in our "game room."  I think we are probably the only people on this planet with a mounted nurse shark, but it was her first "big" fish, and I promised her many years ago I would get a mount of her first big one (thinking it would be a 20lb striped bass or something similar).   :o

miamipescador

I've caught a couple nurses there that have been close to 9 feet long over 200 lbs.
I have some videos on YouTube fishing for sharks and other stuff down there and here locally.
Don't know how to attach videos on here but here's a link
http://www.youtube.com/user/MiamiPescador?feature=mhee

Bunnlevel Sharker

Chunk those big rays up for bait ;D As for the cable flemish eye and double crimp or backbraid. If you back braid then wrap the serve in electrical tape or crimp over with copper tubing. To crimp the tubing take about a 1in piece and slide over then get about 3 to 4 bites with lineman pliers
Grayson Lanier

onemako

if you get a nurse over 263 lbs you will have a new igfa record. The current record was set here in port st joe fl. It can be a lot of work to submit a fish for the record, but at least you get your name in the book. I keep trying but only came close on a few species.

pbmang

We were just in Port. St. Joe last week.  We were staying in Mexico beach and made the drive down there a few times to eat and check out the area.  The sea weed was awful in Mexico Beach last week and made the fishing VERY tough, but I did scout out a few places I think would be good for some shark fishing.  Our little group is in the early stages of planning a trip that way.

Sea weed (this was on Crooked Island):

My wife's nurse replica mount (it doesn't look as big as it really is, you can kind of judge the size versus the couch):

onemako

hey pb do you live in PC FL or nearby. Did you try the mex bch pier, its small but great shark fishing and other stuff. St Joe Bay is great plenty of sharks around eagle harbor. St. Joe bay is one of the best scallop places in all of Fl.

pbmang

I am in North GA.  I did fish the pier a little but I didn't have a good way to get a big bait out and it was pretty packed while we were down there so I didn't want to try using a balloon on the outgoing tide and just making a big tangle.  But, we were staying in one of the townhouses in the same parking lot as the pier.  It seemed like all the guys who were out there shark fishing were using smaller gear and small pieces of bait to catch 2 and 3 foot sharks.  I walked out there every night hoping to find someone who was after some big ones and never found anyone.

We are thinking of heading to Mexico Beach/St. Joe for our next shark fishing trip.  Especially after how bad Jekyll treated us this last time.

onemako

usually there is some young folks that kayak baits out for a couple bucks. I tried my daughters yak one morning and was afraid I was going to be able to pick up some Havana Ceeegars. Too old to paddle have to hope my mercury doesnt fail me.  Dont let the size of that pier fool you. I have caught some monsters at night with the bait just a short ways from the pier.

ACDIII

onemaco...do you ever fish the cut over at St George Island?

onemako

hey AC I fish appalach some but usually fish more in st joe bay and crooked island near Tyndall. St George has some fine beach fishing for pompanos there. Houses in that area arnt bad either.

ACDIII

Fish Apalach a good bit, along with Panama City and Destin based on kids vacation schedule, I keep my boat over at Bay City in Apalach. Would love to live in that area....