Lexa 400 HS

Started by justindfish, December 25, 2014, 04:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: maxpowers on April 24, 2015, 05:00:11 AM
My Lexa 400 has developed a deep groove in the worm gear of the level wind.  It is all the way to the right.  Every so often the level wind will get stuck there and i have to gently prod it to move.  I am thinking of removing the level wind all together.  Do you think that is a bad idea?  I always level wind with my thumb and finger anyway.

Bad idea to remove it if you are fishing straight braid, imo.

The meticulous line lay you get with a levelwind is a "deal maker" for fishing braid. With mono you can remove it and probably be fine.

And you should be fishing braid.

mike1010

John, many guys successfully cast braid on conventional reels (no levelwind).  Is your concern here that the physical design of the Lexa makes manual line leveling too hard?

--Mike

johndtuttle

Quote from: mike1010 on April 24, 2015, 08:39:10 PM
John, many guys successfully cast braid on conventional reels (no levelwind).  Is your concern here that the physical design of the Lexa makes manual line leveling too hard?

--Mike

Of course I was speaking generally and am happy to clarify.

Most who cast straight braid on conventional reels without lw mechanisms are using very heavy braid ie 80lb is a standard as the heavier you go the stiffer it is and consequent handling during the cast is greatly improved over lighter and limper braid.

This is particularly effective for simple heavy lures that cast easily (wahoo bombs, other iron and tin).

But, when you have a levelwind mechanism not only can use fish more appropriate line for the target species (ie 30-40-50lb) but you gain significant capacity on the reel. This is a real concern given the size of these reels (granted the Lexa 400 is larger than some). I am much happier with 275 yards of 50lb than I am with 150 yards of 80lb when offshore particularly when we consider the modest drag this class of reel has and some of the target species on the West Coast (schoolie tuna and yellowtail offshore) this reel is so much fun to use when fishing for them.

As well, imo, the door opens wider to more types of baits that are more challenging to cast like poppers and stick baits or simply lighter lures with greater cross-section etc etc. for someone with average conventional casting skills when a LW mechanism is laying line perfectly for you every time though, in very challenging conditions sometimes you have to use your old skill set to be sure the line is going on in more even tension (thumb and forefinger to provide some resistance).

I feel for my fishing that the lw mechanism keeps things more manageable using lighter braid as I use a wide variety of baits when out casting, and may want to even fish a live bait on a Revo NaCl which remarkably, they excel at if the fish are the right kind (not too grande). With the LW I can go back and forth with less conscious thought as to what I am doing and just huck 'em as the line lay on the reel is always inhumanly perfect with no loops on top of each other as line comes off the reel.

Of course, braid is well established for live bait casting (which really is very little casting over the day), but that is not what a Lexa is designed to do. It is for casting artificial lures over and over as far as we can huck 'em.

In a nutshell: the lw mechanism helps manage lighter braid that will give you more capacity and more casting options over the day for most people's fishing of artificial lures, imo, and I would keep it on my low profile baitcaster in every case. If you haven't used one of the modern saltwater baitcasters they truly are eye-opening as to how easy they make casting lures with straight braid. I feel the LW mechanism is part and parcel of that ability let alone the effort saving convenience and ergonomics.

YMMV with other options and skill sets and just 2 cents worth of opinion FWIW :).

maxpowers

Diawa was cool about what happen to my Lexa and is sending me a new worm shaft free of charge.  In the mean time I took the level wind off just to see what happen.  I will be using it Sunday for local rockfish and maybe yellowtail if they are around.  As for fishing the 30-50 lbs braid, I am already used to using it on my metaloid and some of the smaller round reels I have.  Level winding with my finger and thumb is almost a natural thing for me so we'll see.

mike1010

Quote from: maxpowers on April 25, 2015, 05:03:05 AM
Diawa was cool about what happen to my Lexa and is sending me a new worm shaft free of charge.  In the mean time I took the level wind off just to see what happen.  I will be using it Sunday for local rockfish and maybe yellowtail if they are around.  As for fishing the 30-50 lbs braid, I am already used to using it on my metaloid and some of the smaller round reels I have.  Level winding with my finger and thumb is almost a natural thing for me so we'll see.

It will be interesting to hear your experience.  I cast 30 lb braid with my Avet SX and SXJ, with only the occasional unmitigated disaster :->.

--Mike

johndtuttle

Have at it fellers!  ;)

maxpowers

just took it out to cast a candybar and it casted and retrieve so much smoother.  the proof in the pudding will be when i hook up on a fish with it.