Penn 117L

Started by Nuvole, July 30, 2012, 07:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Thanks guys for your replies, but I can see good and bad, but not overall better.
Just trying to be positive about the new one.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Makule on August 01, 2012, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: basto on July 31, 2012, 11:44:24 PM
Yes, I can understand that people like to think the one they own is the better, but I am genuinely interested if anyone has any facts.

Generally speaking, the older reels were "over engineered".  That is to say, they were often made with heavier gauge materials.  The capacity/strength of very large fish was not entirely well-known since relatively few were caught, hence, such tools were made to withstand perhaps more than needed.

The downside is that the materials and technology used were not always as good as what's available today.  Spools were three-piece brass, and definitely not a strong as the cast one-piece bronze spools.  Gears were hardened steel and, while strong, did rust.  Bushings were brass/bronze and did not have as high resistance to wear as BB.

On the third hand, machines used to make the reels were certainly not as advanced as they are today, and can achieve precision unmatched even by the very best machinists of old.

On the fourth hand, economic pressures were certainly relevant, but apparently did not dictate production as they seem to do today.  Factories such as Penn did not mass produce reels in the same manner that some foreign companies do today.  Each reel was handcrafted from start to finish, and that also means every person who looked at and/or touched the reel made quality checks (and there were lots of people who worked on a reel as part of the whole process).

On the fifth hand (you didn't know I had so many hands, did you), the workmanship and pride in their work were unmatched.  Americans took pride in what they did, machinists were exceptionally skilled, and the quality of the product came first.  Each reel was treated as an individual piece to be made as if it would be their own.  Machinists and assembly personnel believed that a poor product would reflect on them personally and took their jobs personally.  This single factor made up for shortcomings in materials and technology to a very large extent.  While it's impossible to go beyond the capabilities of the various materials, one was assured that each reel worked as it should, to it's maximum ability.  I doubt one could find a single "lemon" during Penn's earlier production years.
Just looking around at some old posts. Albert pretty much hit the nail on the head here. ;)
This post was right before I joined. I haven't seen Albert around lately.
Life is Good!

Keta

Another reel that sells for more than I'm willing to pay for is the 140.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Lee,
Imagine that 12/0 plate you have twice that size. This reel is Ginormous!
I have several of these and they are literally as big as your Head!
Its just a narrow 16/0. The biggest Senator ever Made.
Life is Good!

Keta

Yup, I've seen one but never had my hands on one. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2015, 05:48:40 AM
Yup, I've seen one but never had my hands on one.  

Lee, If you've ever gone bowling then you've handled something similar in volume and weight to the penn 16/0. Loaded with line the 16/0 will weigh somewhere around 14-15 pounds and you will need both "hands" as you suggested. 8)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Now that's one serious fishing chair. :o..........I'm at the other end of the spectrum with a bean bag armchair :D

Shark Hunter

Nah,
Just Man vs Fish for me.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 22, 2015, 02:39:37 AM
Nah,
Just Man vs Fish for me.
Not really, you are still using tools. Go get that shark while swimming in the water, that would be Man vs Fish, you're allowed to have a knife between your teeth  ;)  ....I"ll choose the chair.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 22, 2015, 02:51:10 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 22, 2015, 02:39:37 AM
Nah,
Just Man vs Fish for me.
Not really, you are still using tools. Go get that shark while swimming in the water, that would be Man vs Fish, you're allowed to have a knife between your teeth  ;)  ....I"ll choose the chair.

Ha ha now that's funny Sal, sounds like you've been watching those re-runs of the original Tarzan show.... I do like the way you think !! Wasn't that Johnny Weismuller ?? The sheath for his knife was his teeth. ;D

Shark Hunter

I don't think the chair would fit in my Kayak too good.
I'll be on my feet in the sand with a harness and belt.
I'm sticking with the plan. ;)
With as many sharks being seen and caught lately, I'm not going out swimming too far.
There was a 600 lb Mako caught in Panama city just a week or so ago. A day or two right after that 10' Great White.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 22, 2015, 06:30:20 PM
I don't think the chair would fit in my Kayak too good.
I'll be on my feet in the sand with a harness and belt.
I'm sticking with the plan. ;)
With as many sharks being seen and caught lately, I'm not going out swimming too far.
There was a 600 lb Mako caught in Panama city just a week or so ago. A day or two right after that 10' Great White.

Wow!  I can't imagine what it would be like to tangle with a 600lb mako from shore.  That must have been one intense battle.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.