aluminium frame failure!!!!

Started by mohamedhashem21, August 01, 2012, 09:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

Two comments on this post: First, while I have never had an aluminum frame failure, I did have the reel seat come off a Tiagra while fighting a striped marlin in Cabo a few years back. We got the fish in by cutting and splicing the line to another reel. Second, I fished Nile perch in 2006 in Lake Aswan. The biggest I caught was a 75 pound fish, but I caught lots in the 30-40# class. They are fascinating fish and look much like an overgrown, overweight snook. The fight isn't much: They hit like a brick then take a long run, but give up very quickly. There used to be a picture of me and a Nile perch on the Charkbait discussion board. I'm not sure if it is there anymore or not.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: akfish on August 02, 2012, 07:15:43 PM
Two comments on this post: First, while I have never had an aluminum frame failure, I did have the reel seat come off a Tiagra while fighting a striped marlin in Cabo a few years back. We got the fish in by cutting and splicing the line to another reel. Second, I fished Nile perch in 2006 in Lake Aswan. The biggest I caught was a 75 pound fish, but I caught lots in the 30-40# class. They are fascinating fish and look much like an overgrown, overweight snook. The fight isn't much: They hit like a brick then take a long run, but give up very quickly. There used to be a picture of me and a Nile perch on the Charkbait discussion board. I'm not sure if it is there anymore or not.

:D very pleased to know that someone here has been to egypt :)
i know nile perch is not a fighting fish but it can reach 150 pounds so although it don't fight it still a tring fish :)
real seat came off! i don't understand this clearly was it broken? or the screws got out from their place?? or just got out of the rod?
i know that tiagra is a very strong reel so i'm amazed to hear this, cooild you fix it without changing any parts
thanks for your reply :)

mohamed hashem

akfish

The Tiagra broke while fighting a marlin. What happened was that the screws holding on the foot snapped off. There was apparently some corrosion around the screws. It was the boat's reel, not mine...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska