steelfish

thanks,

then I will look for some yamaha marine grade grease
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on March 21, 2015, 04:49:18 PM
thanks,

then I will look for some yamaha marine grade grease

Any Marine bearing grease will do. If it is the uber sticky kind that is great for conventional reels, though maybe thin it with oil for spinners.

txangler81

Ok I started a new thread to see what everyone is using for grease oil and cleaners. but no replies. so lets try it here instead grease isn't that big of a deal any marine or reel grease with an anti corrosion additive. but what is recommended for bearings, bushing, and levelwind parts. Also where can what you are using be found. Also what cleaners is everyone using.
Thanks
Dustin

UKChris

I may be newish here but I'm happy to kick off the replies:

Casting reel bearings (Abu 6500/7000 etc.) - Rocket Fuel (red or yellow)
Level wind - Rocket Fuel (red)

Everything else except carbon drag washers - marine grease (Yamaha, which was brown, or Lucas, which is blue)

Previously, I used Castrol LM wheel-bearing grease and it has kept my oldest reels in good condition for over 40 years. This stuff tended to dribble in hot weather (like me ;D)

If I was to want free freespool in a Penn International, I'd use Rocket Fuel Liquid Grease knowing it would need frequent replacement.

Chris

retrofit

When searching the site, I was surprised to find only one brief reference to Boeshield T-9. I first learned of T-9 from the Guys in my Battalion who competed in the Camp Perry matches back in the 1980's. I was told that it was first developed by Boeing to clean and protect canopies on some of the early jet powered fighters. from what I understand that is why T-9 is a water based product and not petroleum based. Anyway, Boeing people soon found that it was a wonderful cleaner, lubricant, and protector for metal. My personal use is as a surface protector for all my plastic and metal fishing, hiking, biking, boating, tools, and on and on. One story I'll tell just as an example. I had a boat trailer cut in-half to extend the length. Before I could get anything done as far as painting it the fall weather was upon me so I sprayed all of the raw metal box tub and welds with T-9. After setting out in the rain and snow for six months the metal was still protected as when it was new. The only drawback is that it can be expensive but I also know that you use a lot less of it to get the job done. Here is the Boeshield website just in case your interested. http://boeshield.com

retrofit

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 10, 2015, 04:38:31 AM
Quote from: retrofit on May 09, 2015, 07:18:18 PM
When searching the site, I was surprised to find only one brief reference to Boeshield T-9. I first learned of T-9 from the Guys in my Battalion who competed in the Camp Perry matches back in the 1980's. I was told that it was first developed by Boeing to clean and protect canopies on some of the early jet powered fighters. from what I understand that is why T-9 is a water based product and not petroleum based. Anyway, Boeing people soon found that it was a wonderful cleaner, lubricant, and protector for metal. My personal use is as a surface protector for all my plastic and metal fishing, hiking, biking, boating, tools, and on and on. One story I'll tell just as an example. I had a boat trailer cut in-half to extend the length. Before I could get anything done as far as painting it the fall weather was upon me so I sprayed all of the raw metal box tub and welds with T-9. After setting out in the rain and snow for six months the metal was still protected as when it was new. The only drawback is that it can be expensive but I also know that you use a lot less of it to get the job done. Here is the Boeshield website just in case your interested. http://boeshield.com

I just checked out the site you refer to, which of the products do you use on your reels? I see there are several different application and different labeling for each. I think I have used something similar to that product in my gun cleaning and lubricant applications in the past.....the names of the products are not popping in my mind right now but it's not that important. I would just be interested in the specific T-9 product you have been using. There are a lot of lubricants out there but not all have the ability to stand up to salt water as well as some of those that are used here like Cals,Yamaha blue,and 301,321,. Those are the more popular but there is always room for better products for sure, I'm just wondering how much research has been done for the saltwater application.  

It has a big T-9 on the label. Packaged in three drip sizes, two sprays, and a gallon jug. I get the 12 oz spray and it comes with that little red tube like most spray stuff so I can shoot it in where I cannot reach. Now I'm striking out on how to post the picture of the stuff. I'll have to do some learning but if you go back to the Boeshield site there other products do not have T-9 on the label. About salt, all I can tell you is I've used it here in Pensacola on rods, reels, boat trailer, trolling motor, outboard motor, boat trim, and other stuff I cannot recall. This has been in the gulf and in the bay. It works for me.

retrofit

Quote from: retrofit on May 09, 2015, 07:18:18 PM

Alan: Don't mean to bother you but was just wondering if you have ever used Boeshield T-9. It has been around for a long time and I've used it for about 20-25 years after I got a 12 oz spray can at an Orvis store.

alantani

i bought a can for a long range trip years ago but ended up leaving it on the boat.  otherwise, never tried it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Clipper

T-9 works, I guarantee it.  I used it first on gun barrels 10 years ago and it has always been effective.  I by a can whenever I see it at a store and use it liberally on my boat and on the outside of my reels (because I reapply it often in high use areas as an abundance of caution).  301 is great stuff but it is pensive and hard to get so I hoard it for use in areas that I get to less frequently, like inside my reels.
Another day in Paradise!

retrofit

Reel 224, have you ever used "Break Free" CLP? Back in the days when I was a Maintenance BN CO, all of the small arms repair guys used it and said it was the best stuff ever. They optimized their own weapons for the Perry matches and used it on those.  Even the heavy weapons guys used it on 50's, 155's, tank guns, & etc. It had a mil number so it could be ordered and we used to get it in gallon and five-gallon jugs. I get it now at Walmart and it is now made by Safariland but it is still Break Free CLP.

gvp

Yamaha is still producing the yamalube grease lical in BLUE color ?
Here in Greece the reseller gave me the yamalube grease lical in TAN color.

He said me that the production of the blue color grease is stopped ...

Thank you

Tiddlerbasher

The tan coloured Marine Yamalube is the only one available in the UK - No blue ???

steelfish

do someone knows where to find the bright blue yamaha grease marine, I found some locally that is marine but is between greenish and blueish
not the crystal blue that appears on the pictures of  few guys here

I know and suppose its equal on quiality it just that the real blue grase looks better on the reels once serviced
The Baja Guy

steelfish

sorry, lenguage translation mistake.

I was just trying to say it was really blue in color, not the new color that loos more lile "teal" color.

The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Perhaps it's an old stock - new stock thing :-\