Everol 12/0 - a once-over with all the trimmings...

Started by redsetta, August 08, 2012, 10:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on February 02, 2016, 08:19:03 PM
I noticed that also but now it's working fine. With the drag lever at 12 o'clock I surely can't pull any drag by hand as I did before with it all the way over. I'll check it with a scale when my son gets home.

I think the drag lever was installed incorrectly. There is one shim under the drag lever so it pulls the drag assembly a little tighter.

I didn't take any pictures of the right side, bearing cage, or gearing. It's just like the 14/0. I did have to change the bearing under the main gear. The roller bearing pressed into the gear case cover was totally rusted. It was cleaned and packed with grease.

Thanks again for the great tutorial..!!

Keith,
That would explain it.  That bearing was shot on the 2 reels I have serviced as well.  Guess the salt gets in there.  Pack the new one full of grease and that will solve that.

As always...

Great work!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

skinnys98ta

I also have a 12/0 that I have been tinkering with. I plan on replacing roller bearing on the sleeve with a bushing.  I only have 15 springs under the drag and they are all the same. The old drag washers have a slight bit of glazing on them. Would I be able to lightly sand that away without ruining them? I wouldn't be opposed to the new carbon fiber. But I have heard you have to shim them. Is this true?  And how exactly would you go about that? Are there after market washers out there. Or would I have to order them directly from everol? Thanks in advance.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: handi2 on February 02, 2016, 08:19:03 PM
I noticed that also but now it's working fine...

I think the drag lever was installed incorrectly. There is one shim under the drag lever so it pulls the drag assembly a little tighter...

The roller bearing pressed into the gear case cover was totally rusted...

Glad to hear that. Peculiar though. The reel looks to be in very good condition.
Regarding the thin washer under the drag lever, really it is just for the small drag lever friction springs to bear on; it doesn't actually have much to do with the drag itself. I'm not sure if the drag lever can be installed incorrectly... how?

Yes, those roller bearings had a tendency to rust after a number of years, so they were replaced quite some time ago with oilite bronze bushings. Or in the case of Redsettas reel, a technical plastic. (Curiously, I happen to own one of the first Everols ever made. It doesn't have roller bearings, but it is a two-speed)

Quote...the last metal washer on top of the drags is slightly bent. It's very thin and I assume it gets pressed flat as drag is applied....

Yes it does, that is why the roller plate is of such large diameter. Depends on how bent obviously-- there is a difference between bent and curved.

QuoteThe old drag washers have a slight bit of glazing on them. Would I be able to lightly sand that away without ruining them?

Sure.

Quote... I wouldn't be opposed to the new carbon fiber. But I have heard you have to shim them. Is this true?  And how exactly would you go about that?

The CF discs are made to be very similar in thickness to the old discs. A little fine tuning may be desired by a perfectionist, but I can't recall it being necessary in order to make it work. Shimming in these reels is not always easily accomplished. It takes a fair amount of expertise. Instead, I would have to recommend the usual approach of using the number of drag springs for this.

QuoteAre there after market washers out there. Or would I have to order them directly from everol?

No, no aftermarket washers. Get them from Everol or Everol USA or local distributor, depending on where you are.

Quote... I would consider... 1)Rehoning the metal washers to a perfectly flat/polished surface

Dude, these are 1 mm thick stainless steel discs cut from sheet, perfectly uniform in thickness and roughly 4" in diameter. Very difficult to hone, lap or grind. Better to buy new ones.

Tightlines667

By 'honing'  I didn'the really mean honing with a lathe or proper machinery... just suggesting to use fine grit wet sand paper on a perfectly flat surface..such as glass..and lightly sanding in hourglass patterns to eliminate any felt roughness or ridges.  I haven'the done it to the everol plates but it helps with a quick/effective alternativery to replacement in Tiagras and Internationals. If it's really bad and requires serious attention... much simpluer.. though a bit costly...to replace them.

Just a suggestion, probably not needed if the drag feels smooth enough.
Hope springs eternal

Robert Janssen

Oh, sure... of course. But still, these are often only 1 mm thick, (might be a bit more/less depending on reel / age) and guaranteed uniform in thickness to begin with. Since they are so thin and flexible, they'll flex wherever you put your fingers to press. So it will be very hard to maintain a uniform thickness everywhere, and since they are part of a sandwich meant to be very flat.... (on the other hand, we've already discussed the bit about surface area and friction and Coulumb's Law and so on... may be it doesn't really matter, all told???)

But yes, getting rid of any burrs, ridges and bad spots is always a good idea.

You may be right... they are more expensive than they seem IIRC, so a little elbow grease goes a long way.

redsetta

Good work Keith - glad you got it sorted.
Knew you were in good hands once John and Doc weighed in ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

handi2

The owner of this would like to know the cost of the new drag plate with the carbon drag material.

Can someone instruct me on how to aquire one? I don't speak Italian.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on February 11, 2016, 06:56:08 PM
The owner of this would like to know the cost of the new drag plate with the carbon drag material.

Can someone instruct me on how to aquire one? I don't speak Italian.

Keith
Today, most speak English over there. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work out I'll talk to them, but I would need their email.
I believe Daron has it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

The new drag plate is on its way by air mail from Italy for $95.00 and change. This is for the 9/0 reel.

Not too bad I think for a like new reel.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

New 9/0 drag system received. I wasn't expecting the entire drag system. All springs included.

The drag was partially greased. The material is glued on and the metal plate is very rough ground on the outside.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

I really like dealing with Everol Italy.
Everol USA is really hurting their business.
Sure, they will sell you a reel with a big markup, but parts and service emails are ignored.
At least by me anyway. I informed them of this.
It's a shame, such a fine reel company is represented like this.
I will continue to buy their reels, just not from Everol USA.
Life is Good!

handi2

I shouldn't have said the drag plate was rough ground. I should have said it was hand made..
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Everol Italy doesn't mess around. They have been in business since 1958 for a reason.
You send them an email, The owner himself will respond.
Truly a Class Act. ;)
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: handi2 on April 07, 2016, 11:57:54 PM
I shouldn't have said the drag plate was rough ground. I should have said it was hand made..

Yes, it is. The disc is ground that way to get a good bite for the adhesive.