penn 9/0 from rich harrison

Started by alantani, August 16, 2012, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You didn't say anything wrong Albert, I'm sure they were still selling the three-piece spools around that time to get rid of them.
Talk to you later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 21, 2012, 09:31:15 PM
You didn't say anything wrong Albert, I'm sure they were still selling the three-piece spools around that time to get rid of them.
Talk to you later buddy.
Sal

Would you believe, my two largest ulua (Jack Cravelle) were taken on one of the very old slow speed, 3-piece spool, 6/0?  I swapped out the handle with one from a 9/0 to get more leverage, but aside from that, it was all stock.  I shunned the one-piece cast bronze spool because it was too heavy (got one of the red, high speed 6/0 reels and sold it after using it the first time).  Then, I used the cast bronze spooled 9/0 exclusively until the aluminum spools came out.  Good thing I was strong enough to cast them, but I still liked those old slow speed 6/0s.  It wasn't fast or fancy, but it did what it needed to do.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Harry

6/0 standard is a good reel , bushes and all . Has faired me  well for decades of the piers here.

George4741

Quote from: Makule on August 22, 2012, 04:59:28 AM
but I still liked those old slow speed 6/0s.  It wasn't fast or fancy, but it did what it needed to do.

Quote from: Harry on August 22, 2012, 05:41:11 AM
6/0 standard is a good reel , bushes and all . Has faired me  well for decades of the piers here.

I agree, and with an Accurate frame and 1+7 drags, the 6/0 won't take a back seat to many reels.
viurem lliures o morirem