Shimano TR200G

Started by yakfisher, August 21, 2012, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakfisher

Thanks mate. Your advice is invaluable.

I have never had a problem with line catching around a spool before but don't have a lot of experience with larger overheads as stated above. I would always be live baiting with it so casting is not a problem.

yakfisher

Just thought i'd give an update on this. In the end I did buy a TR200G and am very happy with it. I think it is quite a cool little reel and has to be one of the best value reels around. It has that old school feel to it but it's new!

I realize now that it is not really suited for pelagics using heavy line - it is smaller than I thought. I ended up putting 30lb braid on it and will get something heavier for the bigger stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

akfish

They are good little reels, but as you suspected, not so good for pelagics. It will really benefit from a set of carbon fiber drag washers. The drag washers from a Penn 965 are a direct swap.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Jimmer

Be sure to add the under gear CF washer on this one, it makes a huge difference.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

akfish

Hmm. I generally just grease (with Cal's) the washer under the main gear and leave it. These reels are 20# class reels -- pushing them any harder torques the plastic frame -- so I htink there i enough drag with the HT-100s in the drag stack.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

yakfisher

Thanks guys i'll get a set of washers for it. Already got some Cal's grease when I got a set from dawn for my Abu. Now just need to catch some decent fish with it!!

LI Guy

Has anyone removed the level wind feature from these reels? It sounds like something I might like.

alantani

yes, but usually because the owner screwed up the levelwind assembly for the third time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

Don't forget the TLD Star reels. I love the 15/30
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

yakfisher

Have been looking for the Penn 965 HT-100 washers. Most I have seen are advertised as the whole drag assembly including the metal washers - is this what I need or only the carbon washers? Can you buy the washers separately?

Bryan Young

Yes, you can buy the washers individually.  See mysticParts.com.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

If you buy the 965 washers individually, note that there are two sizes that go into the reel. You'll need one 006B965 and two 006 965.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

yakfisher

Thanks a heap, that will save me some time....

Another question - Alot of people here seem to rate star drags over lever, perhaps for simpicity and ease of servicing..?

Have been looking at the TLD 15/30 and think I will get one (and upgrade) for slightly heavier use than the TR200G. On paper the TLD15 is comparable in most ways (but with LD obviously)... are they more prone to failure?

redsetta

G'day yf,
The TLD has a pinion bearing that can fail due to excessive drag (ie over about 15lbs) or corrosion etc. It also has two spool bearings and another in the drag plate.
For use on a kayak, the 15/30 therefore has fewer potential failure points.
That said, it's also a matter of personal preference, fishing style etc when choosing between the two.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

yakfisher

Thanks redsetta. Figured they must have had a couple of weak points. Your comments are similar to akfish's comments earlier in the thread regarding the charter special... which I'm guessing the TLD is very similar to internally. The thread on the 15/30 makes it sound hard to fault for what I want.