Penn Baja Bearing Help - Never Mind, Found Me Problem

Started by MACflyer, May 06, 2024, 04:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer

Me problem. The sub shaft bearing was on the floor instead of in the reel haha. Well it does fish without the tiny bearing as I caught a 21" gray snapper. Should be much smoother now.

My Baja with 6 bearings is not smooth when retrieving 12oz and bait. Free spool is fine, and handle turns smoothly without a load. I replaced bearing 55b under the handle as it was rough. I checked the other 5 bearings and they feel smooth. However, retrieving under a load is still not smooth. Question 1: Is bearing 55a, on the schematic, the tiny bearing that fits on the sub shaft? Question 2: which bearing, or bearings, would most likely cause this issue? Thanks in advance for helping me.

Bill B

55 and 55A are two different bearings with two different purposes.  55 is the stub shaft bearing that fits inside the spool and is necessary/important.  With out it the reel will be rough while reeling.  55A supports the spool.

With bearing 55 missing you wouldn't notice it during free spool but definitely would upon retrieve.  Rather expensive little bugger but totally necessary.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Bill B on May 07, 2024, 03:21:47 PM55 and 55A are two different bearings with two different purposes.  55 is the stub shaft bearing that fits inside the spool and is necessary/important.  With out it the reel will be rough while reeling.  55A supports the spool.

With bearing 55 missing you wouldn't notice it during free spool but definitely would upon retrieve.  Rather expensive little bugger but totally necessary.   Bill
I've often wondered if that could be replaced by a bronze bushing/oilite bearing... I just hate supporting large loads on small bearings.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MACflyer

Thanks for the input. I'll be testing it out again soon on some AJs.