How to deal with THIS MUCH corrosion?

Started by lyt, August 28, 2012, 01:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on August 29, 2012, 12:52:33 AM
um, no, i was going to pass it over to you or jim!   ;D
That's what I though  ;D.  another reason to get the ultrasonic cleaner out of your garage...in fact, I may need to borrow it if you don't mind.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i haven't used it in ages.  swing by anytime!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: lyt on August 28, 2012, 08:25:00 PM
im not even going to bother to post a pic of it.....it's toast....

i
you are right bryan....   27 bucks is quite reasonable....just ordered one......   

A wise decision.

Alto Mare

X2.
It's always nice to bring things back to life, but that spool is too far gone.
Put it to rest and don't waste time or money on it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lyt

Quote from: alantani on August 29, 2012, 12:26:41 AM
we could have saved this one!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D

LOL

Alan, even u could not work a miracle with this one...   Maybe my auto body repair guy could!    unless you have bondo, epoxy, and all day with various sandpapers......Stand back!

Ok you have forced me to upload the pictures.....    :

keep in mind....this is AFTER 30 minutes of lathing with files and brushes!   DOH!   :)   

If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

alantani

how about bondo?   ;D  i'm half kidding, half not......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Well I just got back from work and saw this post,I have a full frame and spool for a 900 if the issue comes back in the future been used on a charter boat but still in good shape.If anyone needs just shoot me an email and I will look for it,been going to fix it up with new guts for a while now just haven't gotten around to it.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Lee could probably use that spool, he likes to experiment .
btw, where did he get to? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lyt

Quote from: saltydog on August 29, 2012, 06:50:22 PM
Well I just got back from work and saw this post,I have a full frame and spool for a 900 if the issue comes back in the future been used on a charter boat but still in good shape.If anyone needs just shoot me an email and I will look for it,been going to fix it up with new guts for a while now just haven't gotten around to it.

wow....funny you should mention it....

my spool and frame are the two worst parts on this reel.... everything else is excellent....     the frame I accidentally left in vinegar for an hour too long on one end (trying to deal with the corrosion)  would love to ask you for your parts....   as long as the shaft is straight....

As for the bondo Idea.....   it crossed my mind....    ::)   but i figured....  I KNOW I will mess this up.....so let's not even start :)

lyt

eric

Gives a whole new meaning to 'nice patina'

Nessie Hunter

WOW!!   Life lessons.....  :o

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Well said..   I try and remember that song when I see things like that...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lyt

yeah ....   well, I must say, for the small price tags these reels have.... (obviously)  (ie on ebay)....they are pretty amazing reels....   especially after this upgrade....   not sure i would really need anything bigger....unless i wanted to impress people--  with my pretty gold reels.   You could easy land BIG fish on this 900 now.

as