is Harnell still in business ? contact info ?

Started by skered53, October 04, 2012, 04:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skered53

Looking to call them so I can ask what the line rating is for my 205, sticker says Oxnad CA
Cheers, Derek

alantani

i think they've been out of business for a very long time.  too bad, they made great glass rods.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

I was told at one time Harrington and Harnell were in business together.  I was given an email address for Mrs. Harrington and she responded with some information I wanted regarding some Harnell rods I had.  Sorry,  I don't see your rod listed in the information I have and I can not find her email address.  I do have an address:  Harrington Rod Co., Route 2 box 59-A, Braymer, Missouri 64624.
This was a couple of years ago and this address could be a very old address and not active now.
John

conchydong

Correct, I believe they sold to Harrington, the only literature that I have also does not list your rod model.

UKChris

A bit off the subject peraps but I bought an old and much battered Harnell rod a year or three ago. It was a Royal VII Unlimited class chair rod. I got it because it was cheap(ish) and it reminded me of the first time I saw one of these rods in a tackle shop and could not believe the weight and stiffness of it.

It needed a wash before I felt I could touch it, it was so grubby. But after stripping off the Mildrum rollers, cleaning them carefully and re-whipping them in place with dark green over the original pale green with yellow trim, it looked in pretty good shape.

Rather than use hi-build or any other one-coat varnish, I have used seven coats of copal/valspar over everything and I could apply another few coats to the whippings themselves. I did not sand out any of the orginal chips and dents so although the rod is looking lovely it retains its original character having been in use over many a battle I have no doubt. I wonder what tale sit could tell... The Varmac RS6H reel seat is quite something now it is bright chrome again and not dull green and furry. Amazingly, the wooden butt was perfectly sound and only had a few minor scapes and scratches.

Now if only I could get a 14/0 or 16/0 Senator to match it - it came with a 12/0 that I have restored to its former glory but looks too small on this rod! I already have a vintage 72-thread linen line from the days of British tunny fishing that might look the part and some hooks of the same era...

Now I must do that same with the Harnell Royal V 80lb class that I got to go with it. Looking for a Royal VI 130lb next?

Chris