Guides

Started by Rickman, September 14, 2012, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

I'm having a hard time with my guides. Not the old school ones, these new things with the insert. I got out through the surf on my kayak the other day, went to rig up and two of the inserts on the guides were out flopping on the line. This is a cheap ugly stick but only a year old. I'd already replaced one of the guides on it for the same reason. I went online to find a set of the old kind without the insert but I'm coming up with mostly the same stuff, or things that look too flimsy. Nothing fancy, just like what came on the old Sabre's. Anyone know what I want to order?

rodent

you may want to try Jann's netcraft, pacific bay guides. these are the old school type but they still need care, like our reels. rinsed off at the end of the day. good luck.

Bryan Young

Maybe you could use a set of very old fashion Hilo Guides.

http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/UluaFishingGear.htm

These take a licking, but may not be what you are looking for.  And yes, they are VERY Old school.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rickman

Bryan.....those look bomb proof!

Rodent? The Pac Bay stainless boat guides look like what I want.

Thanks
Rick

Irish Jigger

I too have "cheap" Ugly Stik rods with cheap guides when bought new. I replaced them immediately with Fuji's and never looked back. The rods are marked "The World's Toughest Tubular Rod" pity about the guides. :'(

SoCalAngler

All my non rollerguide rods I use Prefection Guides. After years of replacing popped out, missing, cracked or chipped guides I no longer have those issues with Prefections. I seemed that I only notcied a cracked or chipped guide was while I was hooked up to a nice fish and that is not the time you want to find those problems.

bluefish69

Try

Mudhole.com   -- This is a rod builders catalog they have more stuff then anyone needs.  Ask for a FREE catalog

1-866-790-RODS [7637]
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Rare

Question- are you using braid or mono?

Bryan Young

If you can find someone that has old new stock of Mildrum Carbide guides, this will probably suit your needs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rickman

Thanks for the replies! Heading up to San Diego in a couple weeks and probably get the Perfection stainless. I use mono with braid for backing. Unfortunately haven't gotten into the backing for a while!