What kinda bees don't fly ?

Started by skered53, September 17, 2012, 05:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skered53

another newbee from Oregon, picked up an Avet MJX LEFT a couple weeks ago, took it fishing on the Columbia river and put a whoopin' on a 23 lb Chinnok ( 25# seaguar leader ) on Labour Day,  went back 4 days later and did the same to a 18 to 20 ponder,  ( it wasn't weighed ).  Strike set to 7.5 or 8 pounds ( I used a decade old zebco deliar ) new scale ordered.  It was cool to lower the drag when needed and always be sure I could set it back to strike setting without over tightening it. Yes the Avet is my 1st lever drag reel, been fishing for Salmon with a ABU 5601 C4 LEFT and a Daiwa luna ( can't remeber the exact model # ).       

wallacewt

who likes ld better than star drags YEAH!!

saltydog

I love my International 50 but it is the only one I still own.Goes on my occasional tuma trips every year.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Nessie Hunter

My Daughter and several of her friends (some are guides) Fish the Columbia and other Rivers in the area..
They do well at times also.  

If you want, I am on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/frank.catalano.7) you can meet and get together with them??
look me up.......   Bryan has....  :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on September 17, 2012, 04:16:20 PM
My Daughter and several of her friends (some are guides) Fish the Columbia and other Rivers in the area..
They do well at times also.   

If you want, I am on Facebook (Frank Catalano) you can meet and get together with them??
look me up.......   Bryan has....  :-)

I have and it has been a great pleasure.  Frank's Daughter, although I have never personally met, is a real precious gem.  As the saying goes, make you kids better than yourself, and Frank has done that with his kids and down to his grandkids.

Quote from: Keta on September 17, 2012, 05:27:20 PM
Quote from: wallacewt on September 17, 2012, 08:25:18 AM
who likes ld better than star drags YEAH!!

Both have their place.

I would agree with Keta.  Sometimes you cannot get the instant hookset easily with a lever drag and a star would be better, and likewise, if you are in a fishing situation that you need to adjust drags due to the fishes fighting style or location where you are fishing.  I have never used a Lever Drag for Salmon although many of my friends do.  I  think fishing with downriggers, it is easier to fish with lever drags to set the spread.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

skered53

my star drag reels.  I'll be keeping my small baicast reels for Steelhead, and for throwing bobber and eggs for Salmon ( ussually about 1 oz of weight and a slip bobber, it ussually a 50 to 60 foot cast and in slow moving water, so there is lots of cating and retrieve.  If I were to take up any some of fishing with longer cast or cast and drop to depth then I might look at an Avet with MC.
As it is, the Avet is being used with 12 to 20 oz of lead to keep the wobbler on the bottom,  6 tp 7 foot dropper, with 6 foot leader.  Next use will be in Tillamook dragging cut plug herring for Chinook, later once the rain starts and the Salmon head up river, I might use it to backtrool big Kwickfish plugs out of my driftboat.