jigmaster gear swap?

Started by twopatch, September 05, 2012, 12:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

George,
Very interesting.  Thanks for taking the time for the review.
John

Alto Mare

Thanks for the pictures George, you alays step up to the plate ;).
I still don't get it though why Penn would add a ring on the left plate and a stand with six screws on that reel , compared to the jigmaster :-\.
BTW, nice shot of the hand, I can't keep mine that clean from working on reels ;D ;D. Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Twopatch,
The reel you want has been there all along. :o  It is the Surfmaster 250 and you can usually find one on ebay.  Assembled on a full size jigmaster frame and a 250 sideplate with 1:3 gears and squidder drags.  Just be aware many of them have a plastic spool.  Plastic not good, aluminum good.  Of course, you can always replace it with an aluminum spool from a jigmaster.  John (john2244) has one in his fine collection and can tell us all about it.  Thank you John. ;)

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 06, 2012, 09:30:14 AM
Thanks for the pictures George, you alays step up to the plate ;).
I still don't get it though why Penn would add a ring on the left plate and a stand with six screws on that reel , compared to the jigmaster :-\.
BTW, nice shot of the hand, I can't keep mine that clean from working on reels ;D ;D. Later buddy.
Sal

OK, the secret is out and my name is really Georgia. ;) ;D  But to answer your question as to why Penn would make the 99 Silver Beach a little differently, look at all of the other reels they've made that are similar but different.  Such as the black 111 and 112 Senators with the 6-screw stands and the same diameter 112H with a 4-screw stand.  Or putting a beauty ring on the 505 and 506 jigmasters.  The bean counters must have went crazy over so much of this.  We'll never know.... ::) 
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Sal,
Nice call on Georgia's hand.  Your guys are just too funny sometimes. 
John

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on September 06, 2012, 02:43:48 PM
Twopatch,
The reel you want has been there all along. :o  It is the Surfmaster 250 and you can usually find one on ebay.  Assembled on a full size jigmaster frame and a 250 sideplate with 1:3 gears and squidder drags.  Just be aware many of them have a plastic spool.  Plastic not good, aluminum good.  Of course, you can always replace it with an aluminum spool from a jigmaster.  John (john2244) has one in his fine collection and can tell us all about it.  Thank you John. ;)

I like the smaller Surfmaster 150 and 100 reels for when I don't need high speed, like live bait albacore fishing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on September 06, 2012, 07:50:36 PM
I like the smaller Surfmaster 150 and 100 reels for when I don't need high speed, like live bait albacore fishing.

Lee, it's good to know there are still folks out there who don't feel they're at a disadvantage when using "old School" equipment.  What weight line are you using?
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

40lb hollow spectra with short 15lb, 20lb and 25lb Fluro topshots on the 100s.  40 hollow Spectra and 100' 50lb mono topshots on the 150s.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

twopatch

Thank You All.  I really appriciate all of the help.  Once the fishing slows down, I will post a report on what I ended up putting the real deal on, and how she preforms. ;)

Keta

Yesterday evening I had a few minutes to take apart a 99 and a 500, 99 gears will not work in a Jigmaster bridge, 99 bridge will not work in a Jigmaster side plate.  A larger pinion gear might work but metal would have to be removed from the bridge and the gear ratio will change.

I need to pick up a Surfmaster 250 for reference.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, anything is possible, but I don't think  it is worth the effort on that particular reel. So, you're going to need to step away and get back on my parts ;D.
The 99 has the same main gear as the surfmaster 100-150-200 and 250, also all of the squidders and a few more reels.
I realized why Alan's friends were just swapping the right side plate from a jigmaster to the 99...smart guys ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Yeah, I wouldn't bother, Lee.  The only difference between the 250 and 99 sideplates is the "250" and "99" molded in them.  Gears and all other parts of the mechanism are identical.
viurem lliures o morirem

twopatch

Quote from: George4741 on September 10, 2012, 11:23:54 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't bother, Lee.  The only difference between the 250 and 99 sideplates is the "250" and "99" molded in them.  Gears and all other parts of the mechanism are identical.
George,you are almost correct. The 99 has a coil spring and 15-99 dog,and the 250 has a flat spring and 15 -60 dog.

twopatch

I ended up putting that "reel deal" on a surfmaster 100. The only real use that I have found for the reeldeal is deep water rockfish. I can crank it in fast when its time to move. I would not put it on a reel that didn't have a quick change side plate.  I narrowed my 250 to 501 size and fish it with braid. I have to say it is a great salmon/halibut troller. I liked it so much a have 2 now.

Ron Jones

WOuldn't a 501 width 250 be a 246? Great little reel in it's own right. I like the idea of a slow jigmaster for dragging skampis on the bottom.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

twopatch

I am not sure of a 246?  It is a poor mans' 1/0. It dosen't look as cool as a 110. But if you put an aluminum spool on it,it fishes better.