HELP: okuma andros freespool slows down if tilted to the right

Started by madday, October 26, 2017, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

Dear member,

I thought I have read it somewhere here, but couldn't find it.
Is there any trick to improve the free spool if the reel tilted to the right while casting. Currently it brakes heavily if tilted to the right upon casting.
I am sure i have read about shimming the spool bearing, but which one? Can anyone help to point out WHERE should I put shim in it...??
Thanks a lot.

*I put the shaft pic in the attachment, the pic belong to Reelspeed :)

Madday

alantani

in the shimano graphite lever drag reels, this is a pronounced problem.  you can fix by adding shim washers underneath the right spool bearing to take away the "side to side" play in the spool.  the andros likely has the same problem.  i don't notice it, though, because the reel is always tilted to the left when i cast. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

The effect is caused by the spool (and drag washer) moving to the right and brushing the drag plate. As the Boss said - if you shim the right side spool bearing it takes out that play - thereby preventing the contact and slowing down of the spool. I've shimmed a couple of Shimano  reels to stop that happening. My Andros has never done it, lucky I guess, all down to tolerances.

madday

so I will have to install shim(s) which is outer diameter is the same with right spool bearing outer diameter, and the inner diameter is slightly smaller, and put it underneath (left side) right spool bearing...  is this correct... ???  ???

I think I may have to cut the shim by myself....  ;D

THANKS

Tiddlerbasher

I get most of my shims from RC model shops - they seem to have the best stocks.

Rothmar2

This may be of help to you....

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=d8pb440dlm4taads8idfekt9h5&topic=13316.0

You can see the similarities with the shaft arrangements.
Problem can be solved, it just takes time and understanding to get around it.

Tiddlerbasher

Because I was 'fiddling about' with my  Andros I did install a spool sleeve. Leave out the spring clip - and it makes it made it so much easier to install the bellevilles and pin ;)