112hW?

Started by Ron Jones, September 16, 2012, 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

This maybe should have it's own thread, but I'll ask it here anyway. Are the Left hand plates different between a Senator and a Special Senator?

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broadway

Yes, they are different.

Ron Jones

I WON!!

Rite after I started this thread, a new Newell Tuna Special kit came up on ebay. Just got it, for much less than I thought I'd have to pay. I've been talking to Bryan Young and will stick with the 3+1 drags until I can afford a set of Newell high speeds and go to the 5+1. I'm concerned the brass high speed gears will strip under heavy drag. A stainless sleeve is in the works and of course double dogging. I am so excited I can't type fast enough to keep up with my brain!

So, a little sappy back story to explain all my joy. The first conventional rig I ever cast was a 2/0 senator on a medium Fenwick. My grandfather had 2, one with a Newell spool and bars and the other stock. I used the Newell'ed rig and caught everything the inshore and in harbor game could give me in Oceanside, Ca and my cousin did the same with the stock reel. The deal was that when the old man passed we would each get our respective rigs, we were the only ones who used them anyway. Well, when the day unfortunately came their was a lot of confusion and a lot of grabbing. As so often happens those who had something that meant something to them weren't able to come to the top of the heap with it. I haven't had anything that was by Newell since. So this reel will be my replacement. I am certain it will take me forever to find that brown, 70s era Fenwick, but I will and I'm gonna fish the crap out of the Leeward side of Oahu with it.

Sob story over, please carry out the rest of your day.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Great stuff Ron - that's what it's all about ;) ;D
Good luck with the rod, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Very good Ron.  glad you got what you wanted at a good price.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on September 24, 2012, 12:19:39 AM
I WON!!

Rite after I started this thread, a new Newell Tuna Special kit came up on ebay.

Ron

Ron, what is the width of the Tuna Special kit?
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Ot is .25' wider than stock, I believe it is 3'. The spool is also deeper, it's center is thinner by stock allowing it to hold 425 yards of 30 pound mono. I still haven't decided what to spool this thing with.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Thanks for the info.
viurem lliures o morirem