113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

very nice!  santa in a bryan suit!  gotta remember that one.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Ron,
What will you use for a reel foot on your narrowed 113?  A Newell or a full Accurate or Tib frame?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I have a Newell stand coming for one...and I'm playing with the idea of an adapter that will allow me to use the 66 stand for the other, their are a few other ideas retling around in my head.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

An adapter would be a novel idea.  The Newells are getting harder to find.

I read somewhere how some of the old-school guys would slightly flatten out a 30-99 stand to use on some of their first narrowed 4/0 Senators.  Of course, -99 stands are now rarer than hens teeth.  I don't know if all six screw holes lined up. :-\
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

My big issue will be seeing if the 66 holes line up with the 113 outer holes, or if the spacing is different.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SeaDawg

You guys are amazing - I google things concerning reels I'm working on, or considering buying, and I get directed here :)

I have limited experience, but I am learning...........great thread here.........

I found it interesting that there were steel main gears and this info got me wondering, and looking......

Is it possible to accurately see if the main gears are steel from a picture?? In my search, I came across the following pictures of gears for sale, they sure look steel to me, but the description does not say.

Can you tell anything from these pictures :)
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

George4741

Yes, they all look steel to me.  Hopefully they'll send send you the gear pictured and you will be OK.

Also, welcome to the forum, SeaDawg.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

yes, these are all steel, but they are plain high carbon steel and they will rust.  these are not hardened stainless steel gears like the accurate or newell gear sets. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Alan,
I would be shocked if they weren't hardened. All steel can be heat treated and is almost always the case. The hardening doesn't make it corrosion resistant, but if these gears were dead soft they would deform and wear quicker than bronze.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

SeaDawg

Thanks for the welcome & responses  :)
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

Keta

The third photo down looks like some kind of SS.  400 series SS is magnetic and will "rust" but the rusty one (second photo) looks like iron oxide rust not SS rust.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

George, great post. Those oldtimers weren't afraid to try to make their reels better for their use. You inspire us. As for the gear in the second pic. I had a ss gear that looked like that until I cleaned the old dried brown lube off it. It's hard to tell sometimes from a pic though. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

George4741

Bob, thank you for the kind words.  I'm having a lot of fun here.  As you probably see from other posts, there are a number of members out there improving their reels in ways Penn ever envisioned. 
viurem lliures o morirem

day0ne

Just an FYI. The bars from a 113HL of course fit a 113 (nice upgrade). but they also can be made to fit a LongBeach 67 by drilling and tapping two holes in each bar. Add an aluminum spool and a few stainless parts and it makes a nice reel. I did this to a friends 67 that had sentimental value and he ws very happy.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

That is pretty much what we are doing here, only with Newell parts and a Long Beach 66 spool to make a YTS. I have 2 66s on the way and am really considering just Newellizing the 66s to take advantage of the higher gear ratio and the open top. The 67 idea is great, you end up with a 4/0 that is stronger and open topped with a higher gear ratio than the 4/0 and less cost than the 113H.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"