TLD vs SLD 30

Started by jaypeegee, September 21, 2012, 12:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

The LX is about the size of a Penn 3/0 or a little taller than a TLD 15. Best when fished with 40 lb test or less but you could bump up to 50lb in a pinch. I personally do not like Avets mag control as I find even with it backed off fully it still reduces freespool of their reels.

jaypeegee

Cheers SoCal

Havent used either of those reels but will see if anyone round here has one for me to have a feel of.
Jeri (I believe) has mentioned that shaving 0.1 mm off the magnet decreases it's impact favourably - Will suck it and see.

If needed then I will try a bearing clean nad oil to increase spool time if it seems appropriate then look at modding the magnet (and only then)

Ta v much!

jaypeegee

Hi All

First - Thanks for the attention and insight.
I decided to go with the LX 6.1 MC and have got one brought in from the states.
I havent stripped it down yet to degrease the bearings and have opted to fish it as it came.
Currently it feels as though I get as much air time as the sl20sh gives. I havent day fished it yet so cannot say how much extra or less distance I am getting. Dependent on a daytime results I may degrease bearings to see what extra spin time and subsequent distance I can get out of this. Under no illusions though - It is an all round reel I am repurposing for surf and shore casting so very happy with it thus far
I have noticed that I am casting to the left and am learning to cast this reel - I suspect that it is the size/balance on the sonik that is causing me this issue.
Largest fish so far (2 weeks) was a med sized trevally and a OK sized Skate and all seemed well as far as the reel was concerned.

Biggest issue is now selling the two sl20sh's I have as well as a couple of other under utilized objects to get the MXLMC - The Avet has spoiled me.

;D