I need a new 20# reel for an 850L swimbaits and live bait (not my kayak 501)

Started by ScupperSkipper, September 12, 2012, 03:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScupperSkipper

I have a lot of reels and I use the 99's and 501"s, 146's on the kayak.  I just got a new Saltist BG 35H that I think I'll topshot with 30# for my Seeker 6480.
My birthday present was a Calstar 850L deckhand.  I need a 20# reel that I can use out of the box or
use with one my my SX's.  Suggestions?  I have one SX on a new 196-7 ;now with 15#.  Thanks, the original Scupper Skipper (3 of them and still loving the Scupper Pro TW)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ScupperSkipper

I prefer star drag, but the sx is a great little reel.  I need about 300 yards total line.  I am not adverse to spectra, most of my reels have it.
I could take the extra SX and put a bit on spectra on it to give me 300 yards.  That reel casts well for a lever drag.  My old 501 new kit would be perfect, but I need it for the kayak.

Spectra the SX or what new star drag?  I would buy a newell if they made them!

beachbob

why not a venerable abu swede 55xx or 65xx?  the level wind is a nifty bonus!
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Panama

Newell 220 or Penn Fathom 12, 15, or 25N.
Newell are great casters but getting the reel at a good price may be a challenge. Also parts are an issue.
Penn Fathom cast great also and are build well and parts are available.

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

LTM

SS,

I like the Daiwa Sealine-X 20SHV for a 20# reel using Spectra.  Was working on a friends but 30 size recently and he ended-up complaining that the free-spool was way too fast for him.  Anywho; a good real and you can find them on sale for approx $99. Im interested in one as my back-up/bang-up 20# reel.

Leo

ScupperSkipper

Leo, I won't complain if the free spool is way too fast!  Flyline Clemente here I go, I ausually get rocked with 15# on the SX...

I have been reading about the Fathom 25N and haven't seen one yet.  My local Hook Line and Sinker says Torque, but Penn is is her sponser so that comes naturally.
Big price difference and I wonder if it is worth the Cash.  So is the Saltist 20.  I would bite the bullet here, but I have to have something sweet for over double the price.  Thanks for the comments.  Jeff

Keta

For 20lb a Fathom 12 would be better than the 25N.  If you can deal with a "slow" reel an old Surfmaster 100 is a good choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have the SeaLine, and fished a GrandWave for a couple years. Hard to beat in a 20# real, especially for the money.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"