Calcutta 300D

Started by TimHut, October 19, 2012, 01:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimHut

So I recently bought a new Calcutta CT300D.  Last night I broke it down to see how it differed from my TE Calcuttas.  Overall I was pretty impressed with it.  The only part I am not excited about is the plastic line guide; I would prefer it was metal like the TE.  Otherwise it was easy to break down and I like many of the features.  I really do like the drag knob on the outside of the handle and the clicker built into it.  It seems build well and I believe it will stand the test of time.  Also the handle side sideplate has two bearings in the cast control knob to support the spool.  I like this as well.  So since I was not able to find this anywhere else I thought I would post the sizes of the bearings that I found so if you are like me then you can upgrade them.  The two bearings under the cast control knob are 3x10x4 (BNT-0194) and 5x9x3 (BNT-4194).  The Pinion Bearing was 8x12x3.5 (BNT-3927).  The other sideplate bearing is 3x10x4 (BNT-0194).  The spool also has a bushing behind the pin as the 400TE does.  I believe this could be replaced with a bearing for increased function as well.  The bushing is 5x11x3.5 (not listed). 

OK, now for my questions.  BOCA does not have an orange seal in 5x11x3.5 that I can find.  All I see is a chrome steel bearing that size.  It doesn't list an ABEC rating either.  What would be the best option here?  If I get all orange seal bearing except the chrome steel spool bearing is it going to slow down the orange seals that I installed?  What would you do?

I think I am going to open it back up soon the re measure this bushing because now I am doubting my measurements since it seems like this is an odd size.  Has anyone else opened one up and noted the same thing?

alantani

yeah, it seems odd.  there are bearings that are 3mm and 4mm thick.  double check if you can.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

You probably measured correct.   
That bushing is an odd thickness compared to common bearings..
I have tried to fit 5x11x4 bearings in there, but they are to thick & bind up...
Shimano has this same 3.5 bushing in many of its reels..

The 'chrome steel spool bearing' available will be faster then the bushing, But!
That bushing seems to just be a guide for the shaft, (note; it fits loose on the shaft).
you may not attain any benefit from replacing it..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Killerbug

Hi Tim,

What exactly are you hoping to achieve by switching the bearings in a Shimano top range reel out with Boca.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

TimHut

More range and better casting when throwing smaller baits.  Maybe a wider range of smaller bait sizes I can throw with it.