Torium 16 & 20 how to tell if it is pre 2005 ? and upgrade plans

Started by stevennc, September 25, 2012, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

I have been reading up on Toriums after acquiring both a 16 and a 20 recently used. Opened the first 20 and saw it was bone stock. Just assuming the 16 is the same without popping it open (though the 16 has a click on the drag star). Planning on doing Carbontex and the dog upgrade once I order the parts.
The Question is : How can I tell if these Toriums are pre 2005 and compatible with whatever shimano made to correct the drag problems with the older reels?

ElFred

I recently purchased a new Torium 16 at a discount and was wondering about the year it was built. I called Shimano and they had me read to them the # on a sticker located below the reel foot. That # had a code for the date built.

stevennc

Thats probably what I will end up doing, and the 20 looks like it will need more parts than just the upgrades alan recommends. It looks like it needs a click spring (I am really not sure how that works), bearing seal and a drive shaft shield in front of the star drag. Above all that the handle is slightly bent and catches on the reel when the drag is almost all the way backed off. Looks like this one wont be used this year

alantani

a simple carbontex upgrade should fix all the drag problems that reel ever had.  let me know if you need any dogs and springs for the anti-reverse system.  i still have some left.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

stevennc

I will take 2 of your dog springs if you still have them and they fit both the 16 and 20. Ill shoot you a pm. I can do paypal if that is easiest.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

stevennc

Great. Ill take them then. Shimano did say both reels are eligible for the upgrade (I think its a whole new sideplate) I may have them put in some missing parts to my 20 while they have it as well Its missing the bearing seal drive shaft shield above drag star and the click spring and pin. A flat rate b box is cheap enough. I'm not in a rush, so by the time I get everything back I may have carbontex and your dogs.