Shimano Exage 4000 - problems engaging bailarm after cast

Started by nia573, September 28, 2012, 10:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nia573

Shimano Exage 4000 - Bailarm stiff to engage after casting

First post on here!
Joined the forum for some advice on servicing my 6500 Mag Elite but also need some guidance for my other fixed spool reel

Bought a 2nd hand Shimano Exage 4000 recently & tried it out last weekend while plugging.
All seemed well & was very impressed, but I noticed sometimes whan I flipped the bailarm over to cast, to then engage the bailarm needed a fair old turn of the handle. Sometimes it engaged with the slightest of force turning, & other times it needed a finger on one handle (its a double handled reel) & my thumb on the other to turn the handle. This didnt happen every time though
I ended up flipping the bailarm over manually in the end

I plan to strip & re-lube & grease the reel (Ive gor the schematic for it) to see if it improves it.
Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? The engagement mech for the bailarm seems to be enclosed so Ill have to study the exploded view to see how it works - any tips would be good!

On my old ABU Cardinal fixed spool reel there was a bit of play in the handle itself, so if the bailarm was a bit stiff you could turn it ever so slightly backwards before going forwards quickly to engage again. The Shimano is a lot smoother & has no backward movement at all, so I cant do this
Thanks
Mike

Nessie Hunter

I do a lot of Trout & Bass fishing, light drop shot with a spinning reel...
I 'never' close the bail with handle.. 
I always close it by hand.
2 reasons..

First;
the handle system is weak on many reels.   
Just a nub on frame and arm that comes down when bail is open, Turning the handle the Arm hits the bump & slams it closed... 
Easy to get worn or stuck...
Dont always close well...

Second;
the line often has a loop when casting. 
Closing by hand I can feel and pull that loop out as I close it..   
No more balled up line on the cast (2# to 8# test line)....

Closing by hand is automatic for me after years of doing it that way....
Just for your information...   
No help on your fix, would have to inspect the reel.
But most likely just  good cleaning and lube will fix it..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!