Penn 200 Removing chrome strip

Started by retiredandfishing, April 03, 2023, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Have Penn 200 which is like brand new in my shop.  Tore it down but cannot get the chrome liner that goes around the lip of the side plate of the right (handle) side to come loose.  Unfortunately the screws that hold the posts on only go through the side plate material and so cannot be accessed unless you can get the chrome piece off. Wondering if anyone has a good trick to get these off.  I've tried putting it through my ultasonic tank but no go.  I guess freezing may be next.  Heat seems not be be an option because the side plate
material may melt.

Thanks, Steve

Swami805

Try the freezer, works on the magpowers. The side plates can swell a little over time. I don't think heat is a good idea either
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

If this is a Surfmaster 200 then there are 2 chrome rings on the handle side.  1 is permanently riveted to the plate the other is comprised of 2 rings that attach to the frame posts.  If you are trying to separate the 2 rings, I slip a razor blade under the rings and gently pry all the way around.  Wear safety goggles!  The razor blade will most likely break.  As stated above a couple heat freeze cycles helps loosen stuck rings.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

retiredandfishing

Got it off. Used the heat feature in my ultrasonic tank.  Used 50% simple green and water.  Heated it as much as the heater would allow.  Put it in for about 15 minutes.  Twisted right off after that.

Thanks for the the suggestions.

Steve

Cuttyhunker

I often start wedging in a single edged razor blade around the diameter then a utility knife blade as the next step to get things moving with a little 50-50 ATF/acetone
Doomed from childhood

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 04, 2023, 07:21:14 PMI often start wedging in a single edged razor blade around the diameter then a utility knife blade as the next step to get things moving with a little 50-50 ATF/acetone

Thanks, I may try that next time.