drag rebuild on a penn 285 delmar

Started by jamesnashtonbrady, September 27, 2012, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Where are you from? I'll send you the whole 285 Reel with a nice ss spool in excellent shape on me, to show you a nice welcome ;).
Send me a pm with your address and I'll get it out to you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: jamesnashtonbrady on September 27, 2012, 10:50:10 PM
now only to find the penn 60 long beach rings.

I don't think the longbeach 60 rings will fit the 285 sideplates.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

So,

Penn Parts lists an aluminum spool, HT-100 drag washer set and stainless sleeve for this reel. In fact, it looks like it could be made into essentially a narrow 112. Do the chrome rings really increase rigidity that much?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on September 28, 2012, 02:34:45 AM
So,

Penn Parts lists an aluminum spool, HT-100 drag washer set and stainless sleeve for this reel. In fact, it looks like it could be made into essentially a narrow 112. Do the chrome rings really increase rigidity that much?

Ron
No, the 29L-85 wil also fit a standard 2/0 (111) not a 112.

Alto Mare

Sorry, I believe you're right, Scott is showing that the 111 and 112 share the same plates. I 'm still not sure though and I don't have one to check.

jamesnashtonbrady

Quote from: noyb72 on September 28, 2012, 02:34:45 AM
So,

Ron

can you post a link to these parts and upgrades

jamesnashtonbrady

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 28, 2012, 03:14:53 AM
Sorry, I believe you're right, Scott is showing that the 111 and 112 share the same plates. I 'm still not sure though and I don't have one to check.

so 111 and a 112 rings should work as well? i kinda missed this one

George4741

Sal, the 112 is essentially a wide 111.  Sideplates are interchangeable, the handle sides are just marked differently. 

Unless I'm missing something here, it seems that James is trying to install the chrome inner rings from a longbeach, or other reel, onto the 285 sideplates.  I don't think they'll fit.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

jamesnashtonbrady

Quote from: George4741 on September 28, 2012, 03:28:32 AM
Sal, the 112 is essentially a wide 111.  Sideplates are interchangeable, the handle sides are just marked differently. 

Unless I'm missing something here, it seems that James is trying to install the chrome inner rings from a longbeach, or other reel, onto the 285 sideplates.  I don't think they'll fit.

George

is there any inner rings that will fit this reel? i know the long beach 60 right side plate will work. its the same as the delmar. but i want to stiffin it up some if i can. also is there are any other upgrades/interchangble parts from other reels to make this one better let me know. thanks

Ron Jones

That's what I'm saying. This actually looks like a great little 25% mono reel for inshore work. Compact and plenty of strength for croaker and bay bass. The gears are slow but the diameter is larger than a jigmaster so it's retrieve length per crank should be close.

The parts are all listed on mysticparts.com the 60 and dell mar use the same spool.

Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: jamesnashtonbrady on September 28, 2012, 03:32:56 AM

is there any inner rings that will fit this reel?

No, the Delmar is what it is.  It is just better to get another reel with the inner rings, such as a Longbeach 60, and save yourself a lot of grief.  Or use the Delmar as is with, say, 25 lb mono at 8 lb drag, or less.  Some would suggest no more than 20 lb mono.  Another reel in the same boat (no pun intended ;D) as the Delmar is the 85 Seaboy.  They're almost identical.  
viurem lliures o morirem

jamesnashtonbrady

Quote from: noyb72 on September 28, 2012, 03:39:20 AM
That's what I'm saying. This actually looks like a great little 25% mono reel for inshore work. Compact and plenty of strength for croaker and bay bass. The gears are slow but the diameter is larger than a jigmaster so it's retrieve length per crank should be close.

The parts are all listed on mysticparts.com the 60 and dell mar use the same spool.

Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

i went on pennreels.com and searched penn delmar 285 and nothing cam up. how would i find them parts? thanks for the help

Alto Mare

Thanks for clearing things up George, sometimes the red plates get stuck in your head and mess everything up. I'm with you on that last comment.
James, sometimes it's just not worth the effort to upgrade, especially on what you're trying to do here. It's easier to just get an heavier reel.