Record Rullen tiny reel

Started by Valk, November 06, 2012, 01:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valk

Found this little reel, two in fact. Not certain for what fishing application it was intended. Looks like a antique version of todays Bass Baitcasting reels, levelwind etc. Turns backwards though, cannot seem to figure out if there is a anti reverse that is not functioning correctly, or if in fact theres is no anti reverse. Looks like pretty good materials and well made.  

Normslanding

No anti reverse. And your thumb is the drag. Interesting reels.

Robert Janssen

Early ABU. circa 1950s for the green sideplate one. Not sure about the silver one; there were lots. The wooden handle knob looks like a later addition.

Bryan Young

Reels are not that high tech.  You had to keep your thumb on the spool and/or keep your hand on the handle.

I've used them, believe it or not, fishing in Hawaii for a fish called Palani.  A fast spinning handle can really hurt your hand. >:(
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

When I was a kid we used them for catfish and crappie,it was the only reels my grandfather would use.Watch your knuckles they can be in for a shock,but always had fun, a strip of leather around one of the posts keep you from burning your thumb up.And they have caught some monsters too,when I was 9 I caught my first King which weighed 27# on a Phluger not much different than those reels.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

raumati01

I've got a few of them , the green sideplate one looks like a 1300 which was probably the most common.Never saw one with a handle like that though.

Valk

raumati01, yes the box serial nr is 1300, the handle had some work done, so assume someone fitted a replacement handle. I just now realised that there is also no clutch on these reels, so long casts was definitely out of the question. The date on the box is 1952 which is 20 years before i was born and the price in Pounds 3-5-0.
I was always under the impression that levelwind is something of the modern era, would have thought a clutch came first and levelwind much later.
Thanks for the comments.   

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Valk on November 06, 2012, 07:12:58 PM
I was always under the impression that levelwind is something of the modern era, would have thought a clutch came first and levelwind much later.
Thanks for the comments.   

Oh, no... Both of them are over a hundred years old. Sometimes credit is given to Andrew Hendryx for inventing both.

The world of reels can be older than it seems at times.

redsetta

QuoteBoth of them are over a hundred years old.
That's amazing - well done Valk.
And still in their original boxes!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

raumati01

Hi Valk, the model name of the silver reel should be on the clicker side  near the bottom of the side. Looks like a 1700 judging by the handle , if you google realsreels you should find a site with a lot of information about Record reels. Very rare to find a 1300 with decent paint, most of the one I've seen are chipped up,Abu made them for a surprisingly long time . I think they were their cheapest model, i should warn you they are pretty addictive and youll want more. Wayne at realsreels is probably the most severe case I've seen.
Andrew

raumati01

Quote from: redsetta on November 06, 2012, 08:34:37 PM
QuoteBoth of them are over a hundred years old.
That's amazing - well done Valk.
And still in their original boxes!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin

I think he meant that levelwind and clutch are over a hundred years old, those reels were made between the 40s and 60s. Here's a good overview http://www.realsreels.com/reels/record/default.aspx

redsetta

Oh right - my mistake, thanks Andrew.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer