Circle hooks- offset vs non offset

Started by rscotth, October 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My Haywire twist needs some work, I'm still practicing. Its tough on that #22 wire.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Yes it is but those vise grips make it manageable and keep thy fingers from getting sore. All it takes is a little practice and you will get better at it.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dynamo

Nice twist SaltyDog. I've never been too good at it, myself.

Yeah on wire that big, it can help to have some sort of leverage. The seamasters are 10x stronger if yo can Find them, anything with an inward facing point/southern tuna style

I'll back him up, leverage is everything in twisting i've found. The Seamasters are great, I love the Sea-Mates, though. Sea-Mates are basically X2 strength Southern-tunas with an offset.

saltydog

I've caught tons of sharks on these same hooks, #19 wire and a 14/0 mustad circle 4x strong.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Salty if I ever make it to Texas I wanna fish with you ;D Ivecauht a slam of sharks on 61lb wire and 4x trebles, biggest was 7ft most were in the 5-6 range and smaller though
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Shark season here from shore is about over except for some Sandbars but a couple of guys and I are planning a few trips Aug. Septemberish next year during the major migration. Keep in touch.
MacArthur

Dynamo

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 14, 2013, 03:29:42 AM
Salty if I ever make it to Texas I wanna fish with you ;D Ivecauht a slam of sharks on 61lb wire and 4x trebles, biggest was 7ft most were in the 5-6 range and smaller though
Were you King fishing?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Yeah, that's how I got started shark fishing after trolling a pinfish one day right off the beach and a huge swirl little drag then slack
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Forgot to add that for circle hooks, Lindgren-Pitmans are sweet. As I've said before, circles for smaller baits, but for decent to larger specimens, J's for me. And what J hooks do you people use for sharks?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Every thing from what I call a catfish hook in 3/0 for sharpnose to 14/0 SS j hooks
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Shark Hunter

Quote from: saltydog on October 13, 2013, 04:13:48 PM
Shark hunter, a pair of small vice grips helps hold the wire loop while you twist the heavy wire.
After much practice, I used the vise grips on the 19 and 22 wire. Thanks for the tip William! ;)
Even with a hook or a swivel, I can't hold the wire, its too stiff. I still got cuts on my hands from the hook points and the ends of the wire, but the results are worth it! ;D Very Sharp hooks!
I got a good twist on both ends of the #22 with a 14/0 gama hook, and an 18/0 commercial reverse offset from catch all tackle on the #19. These are some serious hooks!
I placed all my favorite circles out and labeled them accordingly. Making some rigs and Getting ready for next year! Preparation is key!
My largest shark to date is only seven foot. I got him on the beach in five minutes. I prepared for many months to make this Happen! Switching it up on my rigs, going with wire and cable, then to the mainline.
Life is Good!

floating doc

Since we've wandered off course a bit with a discussion on haywire twists, forgive me for addressing that topic.

With heavier wire, I use my needle nose vice grips. I think the toughest part of a haywire twist is getting the last part of the wrap: the tightly aligned parallel wraps that are placed 90 degrees to the standing leader.

To do this, I try to get a perfect 90 degree turn after my twists are finished, then I will wrap with the tip of the pliers slowly around the leader. I can knock them off pretty quickly after years of practice.

BTW, this reminds me. I'm going to start a discussion on fishing pliers.
Central Florida