Circle hooks- offset vs non offset

Started by rscotth, October 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I am a big fan of circle hooks.  I have read much scientific literature and attended the international symposium on circle hooks.  Large scale studies prove unequivocally that when the correct size, rigging, and fishing methodologies are employed hooking success is typically greater, and post release survivability is greatly improved. 

Circles shine on passive style gear, and when fishing dead and live baits.  Offset circle hooks tend to have higher hook-up ratios then similar sized non-offset hooks in most instances, but also result in a greater percentage of fowl-hooked fish.  The literature shows that smaller sized offset are comparable to larger sized non-offset, and that un-ringed non-offset hooks affixed directly to mono/wire material is more effective while offset circles tend to perform better when ringed or attached via a loop type connection to the leader.  Large sized offset circles can behave very similarly to J hooks interns of external hookings.  Ringed circle hooks maintain the lowest percentage of 'thrown hooks' (even when faced with slack line).  I still use J hooks for trolling artificials, non-ringed circles tied directly to mono for verticle cut bait(chunking for small fish, bottomfishing, freshwater, etc...), but prefer small, strong ringed offset circle hooks for smaller live baits, and chunking for pelagics.  The use of smaller circle hooks in many longline fisheries has shown a reduction in externally hooked animals, increased catch rate of tuna, mahi, bill fishes, and other pelagics, and a general decrease in the catch rate of most sharks.  Larger offset circle hooks behave differently with increased catch rates of target swordfish (more live landings), increased catch rate of sharks, decreased overall catch rate of marine mammals, sea turtles, ect., elimination of deeply hooked fishes/animals (of all species), and some instances of externally hooked animals, though less than traditional J style hooks. 

Circle hooks definately excell in certain applications and with a few minor modifications to your rigging, and fishing techniques, can provide a valuable tool to increase hook up ratios, decrease thrown hooks, and increase post-release survivability of those fish you chose to release.   

The proceedings from the circle hook symposium were published in 'Marine Bulletin' and can be found here:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2012/00000088/00000003

If interested;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dynamo

post release survivability is greatly improved.

Which studies show this? At least w. sharks, I've seen circles gut as many or more fish then J's. And yes, they were using the hooks correctly. Honestly, no hook is better than the other, fishing with J's is much more different thank fishing with circles, and vice-versa. If they are used correctly, you should almost never gut-hook a shark or any other fish for that matter, excluding perhaps gar and cats. J's and circles, doesn't matter. I really don't know why a lot of people put up a big fuss bashing the other style of hooks, both are useful and nice. That doesn't mean I don't have a preference, I personally like J's, I fish them better than I do w. circles, but that's me. Pick a hook which fits your application, not too large or small, strong enough to not pull, bend, or break, make sure its sharp, and fish it using the right technique. Hope I hoped someone. Again, just my opinion. Cheers fellas.

Caranx

I only use non offset circle hooks.

I do believe offset J-hooks make sense for other purposes.

Tightlines667

I didn't mean to say one type of hook is better then another..generally speaking.  I like J hooks too, and agree with most of the comments on this thead regarding fishing technique.  Most of the research comparing hook styles involved passive gear or other applications where it might be expected that circle hooks would outperform J hooks, and other styles.  and unfortunately sometimes when one idea catches on and is shown to be an effective management tool for something or another, it can get over-(or mis)applied to the management of something else without proper research or data.  I think we as fishermen should be excited about the vast array of tools available to us in this day and age...and circle hooks are just that..another tool or option available.

I grew up, as most did, fishing Js pretty much exclusively, I developed many of my fishing techniques and confidence using J hooks, and was skepticle of circle hooks from the get go (just like barbless hooks...I mean it goes against conventional wisdom and common sense that a barbless hook will stay hooked as well as a barbed).  As a youngster, we did some fishing in the early 80s off the tip of LA and frequently would get hit by monster Tarpon, but never hooked up.  A few of the local guys got ahold of these huge circle hooks (I think they were 18/0 non-offset), and through severel years of trial and error managed to develop a Tarpon-specific artificial soft plastic around this hook that had outstanding hook up rates.  In essence the circle hook opened-up (popularized) a new fishery, and many monster fish were taken.  I remained skepticle about circles and was slow to adopt them to my other fishing styles.  Circle hooks are not the holy grail but they are an effective tool when applied using the correct technique, for targeted species, and as effective management tools in some fisheries when addressing certain issues/concerns.  Circle hooks have been around for a very long time and were used extensively throughout the world by indigenous populations, and in more modern times they (along w/tuna hooks) were adopted by many of the world's largest industrialized commercial hook and line operations because they produced better results, not because someone told them they had to use them. 

Circles are not ideal for many applications and there are many other factors which may affect hook-up ratios, location, and thrown hooks/break off percentages. 

I'm just saying we as fishermen shouldn't be afraid to experiment with new tools and techniques...
I mean for me it's part of the fun.

If you have something that works, and your confident in it..why change.

Just a few thoughts.

Side note:  some of my strong feelings surrounding circles are based on an observation of them being underutilized as a management tool for decades, because of lack of support, research, and data..when they were the right tool (an important one of many) for the job.  Namely I am thinking of billfish mortality in Atlantic Longline Fisheries, particularily in the mid to late 80s-mid 90s, as well as shark mortality rates in commercial longline, and hook and line fisheries in the mid to late 70s in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Hope springs eternal

edgarz

Anyone ever tried circles as belly hooks on Rapalas?

I have observed that wahoos almost always get hooked on the belly hooks.

floating doc

Quote from: edgarz on February 18, 2014, 10:58:56 AM
Anyone ever tried circles as belly hooks on Rapalas?

I have observed that wahoos almost always get hooked on the belly hooks.

Interesting comment.  I've only caught one Wahoo, on a Rapala CD 27. Hooked on the belly hook.
Central Florida

Tightlines667

Wahoo are notorious for hitting the bait just behind the head or accriss the eye.  They also like to hit silver colored swivels.  Personally, I would stay away from using circles on hard baits, or any trolling application, though I'm not sure if they would work on wahoo bombs or a bait with a more verticle type presentation since I really have no experience in this arena.
Hope springs eternal

edgarz

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 18, 2014, 08:15:36 PM
Wahoo are notorious for hitting the bait just behind the head or accriss the eye.  They also like to hit silver colored swivels.  Personally, I would stay away from using circles on hard baits, or any trolling application, though I'm not sure if they would work on wahoo bombs or a bait with a more verticle type presentation since I really have no experience in this arena.

Exactly why I asked. Less risk to your leader if the fish is hooked in the corner of the mouth.
I intend extend the setup by adding a  swivel after the split ring. 

FatTuna

Personally, I grew up with J hooks and was always taught to let a bass run with the bait for a brief second and then set it. It works for me, plus I love setting the hook.

In all fairness, I probably haven't given circle hooks enough of a chance but I don't really like them. I feel like they cost me fish. That's just me though; other people swear by them.

In regards to how they work, I believe that an offset circle with increase your hookup ratio but will gut hook more fish, which kind of defeats the purpose. An inline circle does it's job better (hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth).

If you are worried about gut hooking fish, you can still fish a J hook, you just need to set it quick.

OldSchool

Circle or J work great in specific situations based on fishing methodology employed weighed up against fish target species. Targeting species that "spit baits" such as Barramundi with a circle hook is a complete waste of time. That being said on carp another crafty bait spitter they are absolutely deadly, I attribute this to the fish sucking bait getting spooked and immediately turning there head before trying to spit the bait, the turning thereby setting the circle, you can literally see this happening at the rod tip. To date hookup rate on the carp is 100% with 60+ fish tallied using circles.

I think circles are monumentally strong, can assist not getting snagged in timbered fishing spots, work well when fishing very deep water and with the right rigging and target species are awesome.

Like a lot of things fishing they can work really well or not at all.

kmstorm64

Quote from: alantani on October 03, 2012, 01:50:07 AM
i hate circle hooks......   >:(

Thats because for salmon we are stuck with them and don't get an option!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

ez2cdave

I fish Octopus "J" hooks almost exclusively ( Saltwater Pier Fishng ). I tried Circle Hooks for over a year, but was missing too many fish. I realize the "conservation" theory behind the Circle Hooks but, given the ever-increasing Regulations & Restrictions, I prefer to increase my "Landing Percentage". If I Gut-Hook an undersize / oversize fish, I cut the leader as close as possible and make every reasonable effort to return it to the water alive. After that, the fish is "on it's own".

SacFly

I'm always interested in reading peoples' real life experiences with circle hooks.  How they work vs. how they are supposed to work.  I do think it matters how you fish them and what you're fishing for.

When I fish bait I'm using offset gami 8/0s and deadsticking from the beach.  I use the offsets because that's what is sold at my tackle shops.

I know they say offsets gut hook more fish, but with the stripers, bluefish, and associated trash fish that I catch it almost never happens.  The offset circles do what they're supposed to do.  I don't doubt that it could be completely different for marlin etc.

I feel like my hookup/landing ratio is at least as good with circles as J hooks, and throat/gut hooks went way, way down.   Once I figured out to leave as much hook exposed as possible my success rate shot way up. 

Nicko_Cairns

Slightly offset. Can't say I've tried non-offset though, just keep buying the same circles that work (ebay cheapies, $13 for 50). I've landed everything on them, as tough as the big brands for sure.

My catch rate has doubled easily since switching to circles, deep or shallow it doesn't matter, livies, dead baits, or plastics I'll never go back to normal hooks.

Here's a quick vid on rigging plastics on circles. Basic but it works a treat.

http://www.fishandboattube.com.au/media-gallery/402

ez2cdave