Abu Garcia Revo Inshore...WTH?!!!

Started by capt.pac-man, October 12, 2012, 07:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.pac-man

Had a Revo Inshore for 2 years, used 12-15 times rinsed after every use now the freespool tentioner is so corroded it weill barely unscrew--reel cost 260$ i think orginally!--Went through the tutorial and cleaned it also going to need new kick lever w/ stainless insert like all of them. Why would they market such an expensive "SALTWATER REEL" that corrodes soo quickly, and are they trying to help the guys that are having these problems, pretty sure gonna need new housing for the corroded tentioning cap problem, I'm sure there is a few things already wrote up on this just wanted to add another unhappy customer.....whats going on with this, Alan?
Also called Shimano about the handle falling off of my brand new Tyrnos 8 after first use, they said I can send it in and pay....or they will be happy to sel me the parts..they also do not have the drive shaft....What to do, What to do?

redsetta

G'day and welcome capt,
No doubt disappointing (and costly), but probably best to just replace the tensioner and kick lever, and make the best of it for as long as is practical.
Customising a reel with a proven reputation might be the way forward...
All the best, Justin
PS I could probably find you a drive shaft for that Tyrnos if needs be.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

The Revo in all its configurations is a OEM reel.  They rebadge it with Abu, Penn, Pfeluger, Lew's, Bass Pro, Fox and many other name brand stickers.  The inshore started out as a freshwater bass reel and its hard to believe that the Pure Fishing conglomerate would make much of an effort to make it "Zeebas" saltwater tough. You mention Shimano too. On many forums folks have discussed what they feel is a slide back in quality.  All manufacturers do now is concentrate on what the new demographic of customers want.  A reel thats so fancy with bling it belongs on the hood of a cadillac or around the neck of a rapper.  Stupid colors, stupid shine, so light weight their delicate wrists can handle the weight and a race to fill them with ball bearings.  I think if you fish tough, in tough environments or are in the mature side of the industries demographic market, your better served using older reels.  I know I am.

Nessie Hunter

Once Saltwater finds a place to hide, it creates a disaster on any metal..
one of the best reasons most of us tear down brand new reels and perform the Alan Tani Pre-use Service. 
Best prevention we know of...

Just the lightest coating/painting of a good Marine Grease will protect metal very well.

My Saltwater gear is also rinsed in warm water then 'Soaked' in Freshwater after use.  I know whats in there and how it was prepared & serviced, so no fear...
That soak is important in My Opinion to get to all the salt, and dissolve/dilute it..

Example;
I have a Abu Cardinal that I got at Walmart about 10 yrs ago for $15 ??
Cheap low end reel, you bet......
I did a pre-use Service on it.   It was my Fav Reel for many many years..
I float Tubed the So Cal Bays in saltwater, Trout fished, surf fished, bass fished Etc Etc with this reel.   
For 3 or 4 yrs after I retired I Tubed the Bays 4 & 5 times a week.
Plus my Fresh water outings for trout & Bass and a few Carp trips...
It has been under water in the ocean many times, in the surf as I got swamped with Rogue waves, in the sand & dirt, in tons of algae....

It still functions like the day I got it or better...

The Poor rubber on the handle has started to disappear??? 
So I dont use it much anymore.. But its smooth as ever....
Maintenance and a little care..... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

saltydog

Thats why I use old school reels and just beef them up.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur